Eggs in Incubator..count down to May 21!!

My hens killed the chirping chick and smashed another chick in it's egg and kicked them both out of the nestbox. So I broke up the nest, put the fertile eggs in the bator and the eating eggs got fed to the dogs. (They were a few days old!)

My chirper in the bator didn't make it but it's buddy did. So now I have 3 wellie chicks from 14 hatching eggs shipped in. I am in lockdown again and ambient humidity is 70-75 and same in this foam bator with no fan. So not adding any papertowels, etc. If I need to I can add water with a syringe and needle without opening the lid. Think it will be 36 hours or so before any are ready to start chirping or pipping again.

My 3 little chicks are so tiny and sweet. One is a roo for certain and one a hen, the last to hatch from the biggest egg is the darkest and not sure yet if a boy or a girl.

Must be nice to get UPDATES while at work. Those sure are some cute little chick pictures. Reminds me why I was thinking about getting a small kiddie pool, the hard plastic kind==perfect for a brooder!

Cheers all, got lots of work to knock off before the next thunderstorm!

Bonnie in OHIO

Well here I am on May 30. From 13 eggs -- 7 Black copper Marans and 6 Orps, two hatched, both Marans. They were bubble-wrapped individually, shipped during a week that was mild, temp-wise, and all arrived in one piece. They were also surrounded with packing peanuts, in one smaller box that was packed inside a larger one with bubble wrap and peanuts. I don't know what else could have been done. They were not washed, and one or two looked a little soiled. I washed one and marked it. On day one, I had not hooked up the turnere correctly, but I saw it was not working and turned the eggs by had that first day. I dropped one, and marked that one. I let the bator (Hovabator) go dry for a few hours one time. Other than that, I think I did a great job. The two that hatched both pipped on day 19, and hatched on day 20. They are both doing great! Thank goodness.
bow.gif
But this is my first experience and I can't say I am not very disapppointed. The temp was never under 99.5 or over 100.5. I don't think I will order any more eggs that travel any distance -- these were from Georgia to Delaware.
roll.png

Last edited:
I have eggs in the Bator now, I had 12 LO eggs shipped only 8 made it to lock down, only 2 have pipped so far and it is day 23, I also have 1 Mille Fleur left out of 8 due to hatch tomorrow, and 4 golden seabrights out of 10 also due tomorrow. These were all shipped eggs wrapped and seemingly handled well. I know Mille Fleur. Eggs are hard to hatch anyways but to ha e only 1 out of 8 is very sad. I candled last night and there is a ton off movement tho so hopefully it will hatch

Well, it's nice to have company! My husband and I opened the "dead" eggs to find 3 perfectly formed chicks -- 2 Buff Orps and another Marans, and a fourth Marans not quite fully formed. Guess we'll never know why those 3 never pipped. Maybe those few dry hours were all it took. I think it's odd that the two who did hatch pipped early. Heartbreaking to know how close we were to having 3 more lovely chicks.
th.gif
But oh so happy to have at least two lovely chrpies!
jumpy.gif

I've only had shipped in eggs so far, in a foam hovabator and this is the second round of eggs for like 72 eggs set to date and about a 20% hatchrate.

There is a chick again today and I was ready to throw in the towel on the 'May 21 hatch!) But I had 3 staggered hatches starting then and last hatch date was supposed to be yesterday.

I'm happy to have A CHICK at this point!!! 7 in the brooder on this hatchalong and so far today 1 in the bator.

Thanks
Bonnie

Back
Top Bottom