Eggs in the fridge for 3 days! Do they still have a chance?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Corey NC, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    While I was out of town my serama eggs from Frank came all safe and sound no cracks or broken eggs. But the person who was caring for our house while I was gone went ahead and stuck the whole box in the fridge. It's my fault I didn't tell him but still I didn't think he would do anything with them.

They were in the fridge from thursday til just now. I have them sitting on the kitchen table now and I'm letting them get to room temperature. I'm gonna try and hatch them no matter what but has anyone has experience hatching eggs after they were in the fridge?

Come on people give me some hope!

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    you may still have a chance. Its only 3 days. there could still be a chance [​IMG]

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Can't hurt to try. I've hatched eggs out that were refrigerated for much longer than that and got a good amount of chicks out of it. It just depends!

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
  5. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Thanks! Guys you've lifted my spirits. I'm am going to put the eggs in tonight I'll update you all in a few days and see if they made it.

6. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    i have hacthed chicken eggs that were in the snow for 3 days . I dont know how they lived bu tthey hacthed and lived

7. ae50mag

ae50mag Chillin' With My Peeps

corey, just got your email, i am happy to replace your eggs, things happen, for shipping only..

frank

8. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    the eggs I have in my bator now were in the frig almost a week - and they are on day 14 now - growing just fine - so I say warm them up and stick them in

Julie

9. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I actually read that fertile eggs should be stored at 55 degrees F. MS State University says that's about the temperature of the vegetable bin or crisper of a refrigerator! msucares.com is my source.

10. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Ideally they should be stored at 50 to 55 and 70% humidity, and for no more than 7 days.

Everytime we bust a parameter there is a risk that the hatch will be reduced.

35F for 3 days is rather less disastrous than 70F for 3 days, yours should be fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by