Eggs in the fridge for 4+ weeks-they are ok right?

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I tucked a dozen eggs in the back of the fridge to boil and forgot about them. They've been refrigerated the whole time and they are all from the last few days of October and the first of November. They are still ok to use right? They aren't washed but some may have spots that have been wiped with a wet paper towel. Just to clarify, they are not boiled yet-they are raw.

I would saw yes they are fine because they haven't been washed bloom is still in them and were kept cold they should last for quite a while. Do the float test. If they sink their good if float questionable. They float as they get old and air pocket increases in size. At the least crack 1 or 2 open and smell. Thats how I check mine and my hens aren't laying yet do mine come from store and usually sit there for a while before somebody buys them. I've kept mine for a month over date on package and had no problems

Most definitely they are fine. Store eggs are often two weeks or more old before you even buy them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Correct when you buy a dozen walmart eggs they are already 3+ wks old when you bring them home, I would trust your own backyard hen eggs over any outdated store eggs. Boil them up.

What about from beginning of Oct - been in fridge whole time?

Apparently, I am an egg hoarder.....have WAY too many eggs in my fridge. Need to share w/friends but don't want to make them sick.
I will tell them about the float test....what do you all think?

Yes- they will be fine- I also have kept mine on the counter for several months and they are STILL good:) Eggs keep for quite a long time if tnhey are raw and not boiled.

Not that I would recommend it, but a friend of mine found a dozen eggs in her pantry that was 7 months old. They boiled them and made egg salad.

They are still alive, so I guess it was fine.

Back
Top Bottom