Eggs in tomorrow 3/9 :)

so we ended up with 47! :)

Little nervous though... we had the incubator regulated before the eggs went in, then put them in and it was all over the board! Got up way too high, I cooled the quickly, but it took a while to get them back up, but i thinkw we are good now...

did i cook them? :(

what day can you candle them to make sure they are ok?

I'm having the same problem! I was up for 3 hours last night trying to stablize it.

Last edited:
I Just got 12 eggs in the mail today. I put seven in my Brinsea mini advance and gave my broody silkie the other five. Never had a broody hen before so I'm excited about that. My hatch rate with shipped eggs is kinda all over the place first time only one hatched second time about 75% hatched so I have no idea how it will turn out this time. At least if only one hatched this time I won't have to be worried about it being alone as I have the broody to raise it. After the hatch if some hatch in the incubator could I give them to the broody? Or will she reject them???

@gandybugs When you first put the eggs in, it will take up to 24 hours to stabilize.Generally, you put them in and leave it alone for a day, then make adjustments.
How long have they been in?

Last edited:
They went in Friday morning, and have been stable since yesterday afternoon, they just had gotten really hot at first... then stablized, and have been good at 99.5-100 ever since... We will probably candle them tomorrow? I am really excited if they hatch~ or if at least some of them hatch! :) perfect present for my son's 5th birthday (and we are having small group on that friday night, so the kids will love seeing them!)

I set 41 mixed breed eggs. I have a brahma rooster (he's the guy in my avatar), and the hens are 5 EEs, 1 BO, 1 SLW, and 1 Production Red. I also have two brown leghorns, but they have apparently decided not to participate in this hatch. Neither of them have laid an egg in about 2 weeks. Oh well, I don't really care - it will be fun to see how many hatch and what they look like. I'm also getting 25 assorted chicks that will be approximately the same age as these. I ordered them with the request that they be delivered the first week in April. I know for sure there will be some Buckeyes, but the rest will be a surprise.

They went in Friday morning, and have been stable since yesterday afternoon, they just had gotten really hot at first... then stablized,
gandybugs, It is very possible that the air in the incubator reached 104, but the eggs were still several degrees cooler. It all depends on how long the temperature was up that high, and where your thermometer is in relation to the eggs. Wishing you luck!

Audrey asked,
Quote:
Yes, you can give the day-old chicks to the boody hen. I have been successful at doing this several times, I slip my hand under her and pull out the fake eggs that she has been sitting on, and then slip my hand back in with a chick I have purchased, one at a time. The time it didn't work is when the chicks were over a week old. Although, once I was able to get a hen to adopt older chicks by putting them in at night.

Would that work also if she already hatched the chicks under her? I have her sitting on five eggs now and I have seven in the house. I was wondering if I could give her all that actually hatch either indoor or with her. Would she accept them even after she has her chicks that she hatched. I was thinking of slipping the extras to her when she was sleeping.

They went in Friday morning, and have been stable since yesterday afternoon, they just had gotten really hot at first... then stablized, and have been good at 99.5-100 ever since... We will probably candle them tomorrow? I am really excited if they hatch~ or if at least some of them hatch! :) perfect present for my son's 5th birthday (and we are having small group on that friday night, so the kids will love seeing them!)

Usually candling is done on days 7,14 and 18. If you candle tomorrow, you may not see anything and get discouraged! I would candle on those days....good luck with your hatch! But watch out! It's addicting!!!

Would that work also if she already hatched the chicks under her? I have her sitting on five eggs now and I have seven in the house. I was wondering if I could give her all that actually hatch either indoor or with her. Would she accept them even after she has her chicks that she hatched. I was thinking of slipping the extras to her when she was sleeping.

It should work if the eggs hatch around the same time. The only potential problem I can see is: Can she cover that many chicks? They all need to be able to fit under her at night and when they are cold. I think most hens can cover 12 chicks if they are all the same breed.

Oh yeah I didn't think about that. Thank you. I do have a brooder and heat lamp just in case too many hatch. I'll make sure to set it all up at lockdown just in case.

Back
Top Bottom