Eggs in tomorrow 3/9 :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gandybugs, Mar 8, 2012.

1. gandybugs

gandybugs Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2011
    Ferndale, WA
    Well, we are doing our first hatch tomorrow! It should be perfect timing since my sons birthday is the 31st of this month! :)

We are doing about 40+ eggs... YIKES! but i am so excited.

Does anyone else have mixed breeds in their flock? I have a lot of pure bred chickens, however a few different breeds, so some of these eggs will be mixes... does it matter for home use? We probably wont use these for breeding in the future... And i am looking to breed out my hens with some friends roosters to keep same breed and get some pure bred chicks...

Anyways... very excited about tomorrow! :)

2. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have a whole backyard full (and incubator full) of mixed chickens/eggs. I have 2 pure bred leghorns, but that's as far as that goes. Haha

Good luck with your hatch!! :)

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I have a few EE x RIR eggs I just put in bator a couple day ago. My first hatch too. Good Luck on your hatch [​IMG]

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have about a dozen banty eggs under a broody that just started tonight (not sure if she'll stick but I htought, what the hey?). SO should be right in line with timing.

They will all be mixed - gn/porc d'uccle roo over cochins, btwjap, porc d'uccle, g sebright.

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Well,since I have LOTS of chickens and 4 incubators running....yep...gonna have some hatch for this thread. I just set 15 EEx eggs tonight....and some mixes to hatch soon....I have banty mixes hatching next :) So, yeah, lots of mixes!

40 is a lot to start! Good luck with your hatching! Have you had chickens long?
    ETA typo

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  6. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    40 eggs well done!:D. Ive got pure breeds, rare breeds and mixes. The mixes are the best! They are a more hardy bird, dont get ill as much as other birds, lay all through the winter, tough little birds and i think more friendly.. Ive got 4 baby mixes right now that hatched 2 weeks ago so cant wait to see what they going to look like. Good luck.:D

7. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I just set:
    12 mixed backyard from a farm I passed while driving around, (looked like RIR, Australorps and Orps, unknown roo)
    and
    8 Cuckoo Marans,
    8 Columbian Wyandottes,
    2 Silver Laced Wyandottes.

Total 30 eggs.
    I have just set them in my homemade incubator that has been sitting around for 11 years.

They are at my sister's house for my nieces to hatch.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I'm going to start setting this evening. I will have about 30+ eggs, they will all be backyard mixes. Alot of my chickens are pure bred but they are all living together and I should get some nice mixes. I don't show my birds, and I sell my eggs, so I could careless about the breed. I just love my chickens :)This is my first hatch, with my new hova-bator with turner, I'm so excited and nervous! Good luck, I'll be followng you!

9. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Oregon
    Wow 40? You are going to have a wonderful birthday gift for your son! I agree with Tracy the Chick, the mixed breeds are the best - I have both and my mixed breeds are definitely more hardy and more friendly. I will be hatching along with you; I set 11 eggs at 3am today and it's also my first hatch so I am very excited. I got the incubator for Christmas and it felt like I waited forever for eggs. I have a few ee bantam, 2 silkie and some bantam Barnevelder in the incubator and they look so tiny and cute. Hope we all have good hatches.

10. gandybugs

gandybugs Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2011
    Ferndale, WA
    so we ended up with 47! :)

Little nervous though... we had the incubator regulated before the eggs went in, then put them in and it was all over the board! Got up way too high, I cooled the quickly, but it took a while to get them back up, but i thinkw we are good now...

did i cook them? :(

what day can you candle them to make sure they are ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by