eggs incubation without egg turning ???

It's so nice having an incubator with an egg turner! I found one at a very decent price with a fan and egg turner.

On top of turning the eggs, you have to keep an eye on the humidity too. It can't be too dry or too wet. You'll lose your entire batch if its done wrong.:( Hatching is stressful I think, but I love it! The last 3 days the humidity needs to be raised. If its too dry, they will be shrink wrapped and unable to hatch. If its too wet, they will drown.

I haven't hatched in a year and I don't have access to what I keep the humidity at since its put away with the incubator. I also line mine with a plastic tray, which helps keep it very clean!

Good luck! I don't follow the incubator instructions with the humidity. I have it a little lower for the first 18 days, then raise it up. I have hatched about 6-8 sets of chicks since I've had my incubator. I sell many of the chicks too, which is easy to do. I buy hatching eggs from breeders and I like the rare breeds.

Thanks guys for the help,
I live in uk , I would like to know what temp and humidify should be in the incubator for first 18 days and on last 3 days.
I have ordered one hygrometer and 2 thermometer . I do not want to make any mistake as this is to make my son happy . The reason I have bought 2 thermometer is that I can keep a good eye on temp .

The temperature in a still air incubator (without a fan) should be 101*F-102*F measured on top of the eggs and in a forced air incubator (with a fan) 99*F. Humidity is not a set figure, you have some room there, but I like to incubate at 45% for the first 18 days and lockdown at 65%. I have had very good hatches at those figures. You can go a bit lower or higher than 45%, but keep an eye on the air cell development. It should look like this:

The temperature should stay the same throughout incubation and hatching. It's only the humidity that needs to be adjusted at lockdown. Some members have reported having more success with the "Dry incubation method" where they incubate at around 30% humidity and lockdown at 65%+. More information on that here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method

And for more on incubation in general, calibrating hygrometers and and and have a look here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Good luck with your hatch(es)!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom