Eggs left in nest box for 2 to 3 days, still safe to eat??

tomsgonefishin

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 27, 2007
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quick question:
I left town on Saturday morning and returned on Monday afternoon.
Can I still eat the eggs I collected when returning home? No roosters, and temps were around mid 80's. Could an egg go bad if left in the next box for a couple days?

thanks
Tom

I don't know about this for sure. I took some that had been in the nest 4 or 5 days because my hen wasn't ready to set yet. I was afraid to eat them so I boiled them and crumbled them up for the chicks. I know it's odd but they like boiled egg mashed up. I noticed the eggs did not smell bad but after a few days in the fridge they got a little rank and I threw them out. I don't thinkI would take the risk my self.

TJ

I've heard that eggs are fine for over two weeks kept at room/outside air temp as long as they're not washed.....one person I met has 15 chickens, collects the eggs daily in a basket, but just leaves them in the coop until she needs them (could be up to a week or so). I'd eat them as long as there's no cracks....but then again my three girls haven't started laying yet so I haven't done this.

They are probably fine. I would just crack them in a bowl first and check them.

My dad worked in a store when he was a kid and he said they kept eggs for very long times with out refrigeration. I think some of the people on this board still keep eggs unrefrigerated on there kitchen counter.

I think keeping them on the counter or in a box in the hen house is one thing, but under the very warm body of a broody hen for 8 days? I am not sure. Does anyone have a definitive answer? If not, boiled and mashed they go back to the chickens...

I collect everyday and have a egg carton for 18 eggs on the counter. The carton can sit there for up to 2 weeks before I wash the eggs and put them in the fridge. Once the eggs get wet it removes the protective outer layer that is on it when the hen lays it. I have read that in order to preserve eggs before electricity was available that people would put eggs in salt bins and keep up to a year. I read if the egg was close to a year that the yolk would be green...and delicious. Personally, I am not going for GREEN EGGS and HAM if you know what I mean.

I am pulling all this from memory. Google it. I am sure the answer is out there. AND this is what I do with mine.

I have had no problems with keeping the eggs on the counter so far. My house temp is between 80-86 degrees most of the time. I am very cold natured and prefer warm or down right hot if I am outside.
Just don't wash them or get them wet until it is closer to time for you to use them. The unseen outer layer from the hen keeps the egg sealed and locks the moisture in. That is why fresh eggs taste so much better. They have more moisture in them:)
I use vinegar to wash my eggs before I put them in the fridge.
Sassy

Thanks for the advice. Wasnt aware of the protective outer layer. The 4H guides state they will keep up to three weeks in the fridge after washing but doesn't address if you left them in water over night! Guess my girls will have some treats:)

Back
Top Bottom