Eggs left out overnight

Padfoot22

Songster
7 Years
Apr 30, 2016
My son accidentally left an eighteen count carton of eggs out of the refrigerator overnight (12 hours out). A few were wiped off with a wet paper towel (I don’t recall which now) but not fully submerged in water and many are not washed so I don’t know if they are safe to put back in the refrigerator and eat? 😓 Suggestions?

We do not refrigerate eggs before sale in this country precisely to avoid what's happened to you. There is a very slight risk that the condensation may compromise the bloom and let bacteria in. But if the eggs are visibly clean i.e. not splattered with poo I think they'll be fine too. I might avoid eating them raw, but cooked should be no issue.

I'm sure they will be fine to eat.
Thanks 😊
We do not refrigerate eggs before sale in this country precisely to avoid what's happened to you. There is a very slight risk that the condensation may compromise the bloom and let bacteria in. But if the eggs are visibly clean i.e. not splattered with poo I think they'll be fine too. I might avoid eating them raw, but cooked should be no issue.
Thanks 😊

My son accidentally left an eighteen count carton of eggs out of the refrigerator overnight (12 hours out). A few were wiped off with a wet paper towel (I don’t recall which now) but not fully submerged in water and many are not washed so I don’t know if they are safe to put back in the refrigerator and eat? 😓 Suggestions?
You can always do the water test. Drop an egg in a glass of water, if it sinks it’s fine, if it floats throw it out!

You can always do the water test. Drop an egg in a glass of water, if it sinks it’s fine, if it floats throw it out!
I thought about doing that but since they had not been out long, it didn’t seem like they would be at that stage of bad yet. Might have gotten moisture inside the shells from condensation though.

Back
Top Bottom