Eggs looking different - worried duck mom.

pamelajean

Songster
5 Years
Aug 3, 2017
British Columbia
We have been having some issues with eggs lately. Shell-less eggs, then a few days with good eggs, then nothing. One day one of my ducks laid just a yolk. It was broken when I found it and I don't know if it was intact when it was laid or not. Since then, sometimes there are yellow smears on an egg, what appears to be yolk. There is no sign of yolk anywhere else in the duck house/enclosure or yard, just on the egg, which leads me to believe it is being deposited on the egg while the egg is inside the duck. I have had 4 eggs with this yellow smears in the past 2 weeks. It washes off with water and some minor scrubbing. At first I assumed it was yolk, but now am wondering if it could be infection or something else - and in that case, should these eggs be consumed?

With chickens, you could be dealing with parasites--worms and mites.

I would check into this especially with the smears.

Also Check into nutrition and calcium levels

I think that they need more oyster shell. Provide it in a little dish free choice, they’ll eat it if they need it.

They do get free choice oyster shell. I feed them duck pellets and they get fresh veggies and fruit for treats as well as some dried meal worms at bed time. I'm also finding eggs with calcium deposits, so what is good for one duck may be too much for another. :barnie

They do get free choice oyster shell. I feed them duck pellets and they get fresh veggies and fruit for treats as well as some dried meal worms at bed time. I'm also finding eggs with calcium deposits, so what is good for one duck may be too much for another. :barnie
I feel your pain, I went through this with my peafowl this year. Some laid softies, some had the calcium deposits, seemed impossible to find the right combo for everyone. Do you know which ducks are having the problem?

You definitely need to supply with oyster shell(form of calcium), and if you have no drakes you really need to be giving some foods high in calcium.( If you have a drake it will be to much calcium intake for him).

Back
Top Bottom