Eggs lost in transit....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FallFlightFarm, Jan 15, 2011.

1. FallFlightFarm

FallFlightFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    I am expecting some eggs from MS, which were shipped on Jan 13th, and were expected to arrive here in WI today. WELL-they did not arrive, and when I tracked the package, it made it as far as Milwaukee at 4:23am today, and is now showing a status as "Missent". ARGH! I didn't even know missent was a word [​IMG]

I need to confirm with the person that sent them as to when these eggs were collected, but should I even think that these eggs that have been in transit for at least 7 days even have a chance? I just realized that Monday is MLK day, so NO mail [​IMG] That means that if they actually show up on Tuesday, settle until Wed, they will be at least 8 days old, being kept in uncontrolled temperatures before I get them into the incubator.

Thoughts? I am brand new to egg hatching (have my first batch in the incubator now) and this is NOT how I was hoping to start!

Thanks.

Andrea
    Appleton, WI

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

How aggravating!!!! I had some sent to me on th 8th and they didn't get here til the 13 and they were sent priority.

3. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    That really stinks. It dont seem fair does it. Sounds like my luck!!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, I would set the eggs anyway. That's just me. I wouldn't expect any to hatch, mind you, but I NEVER expect any shipped eggs to hatch. I am pleased if one egg hatches and EGGSTATIC if two or more hatch. You have nothing to lose, really, except maybe 10 days, when you candle and see if any are developing....

5. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Heck I too would just try hatching them

So sorry u have to go thru this

Mailing is nerve racking

Good luck

6. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    There is a thread on here (somewhere) about someone buying eggs at a store called "Trader Joes" and hatching them. (Sold as fertile eggs) I would imagine that if eggs cleaned, refridgerated and sold in the market hatch, those mailed to you , yet delayed by a few days should be given the chance to hatch also. Perhaps they weren't shipped on the date the sender claimed? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that they do not freeze in transit.

7. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I would consider having the post office re-emburse for the eggs. I beleive packages are covered up to $100 for normal postage. Tell them they didn't deliver on time because they were lost & request the sender to get the $$ back from them (receiver can't actually get the $$). Then have the sender send you a new batch.

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Last week they were slow. I sent out a pair of birds on monday and they didn't arrive there till thursday morning. Last time I sent birds to this person they got there the next day. I also mailed eggs that monday and normally with priority mail they will get there wednesday, nope didnt arrive till thursday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by