Eggs making us sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by harbisgirl, Feb 18, 2017.

1. harbisgirl

harbisgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    N. Cal
    I should probably start a new thread instead of replying to an old one. Not sure if this is the best category but here goes...

We've had chickens for going on 5 years now. This past July, they started making me sick. About 3 or 4 hours after eating them, I'd throw up. My husband was able to eat them just fine. They are very healthy birds - fed a high quality Non GMO feed from a local feed mill, along with sprouted fodder (barley, oats, peas, boss and flax) and free range on 5 acres of pasture/woods. I assumed that I had developed an allergy to eggs - apparently its fairly common. We got ducks, but the duck eggs made me sick too. No lasting symptoms - after its out your system, you're just fine. However, I found that I am able to eat eggs that aren't from my chickens. This past weekend I caved in when we went out to breakfast and got eggs benedict - felt great. Since I haven't been able to eat eggs for breakfast, my husband hasn't had any in ages - just never bothered since we'd make an egg-free breakfast for me, he'd just have the same. Well today he had 2 duck eggs for breakfast and sure enough, 3 or 4 hours later he was paying homage to the porcelain god. So apparently there is something just in OUR chicken/duck eggs that is making us throw up but I can't imagine what it is. High quality feed, clean fresh water, fresh air and sunshine. Has anyone ever heard of this? I'd send them in for testing if I knew what to test for.

2. Yemimah

Yemimah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    I would get a lab culture on this for sure and ... I would throw away or hatch any eggs you get from your birds. For sure your common sense is leading you in the right direction!!!!! Just look into it and ask your county extension office or a farmer in your area.

3. Yemimah

Yemimah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    Another thought... I once had a herd of goats with bitter milk. Why? They were eating wormwood out in their pasture. Could your birds be eating something in your woods that is not poisoning them but is making you sick. The human body is smart and there is a strong correlation in this thread of what they could be eating . Your body knows to purge it out because of .... something?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by