Eggs missing

Carcajou

Songster
9 Years
Jul 3, 2012
Delhi, New York
I didn't think ducks could move their eggs so looking for a answer to the following:

I have one Khaki Campbell duck that prefers not to lay in the coop with the others (all Khakis). She has built various nests this spring and lays four or five days then moves on as I collected the eggs every day. The other morning I saw her building a new nest and thought maybe she is going broody. So I started marking the eggs and leaving them in the nest. On the fifth morning I checked the nest and all eggs were missing. No raccoon tracks or any sign of disturbance. We only have garter snakes and milk snakes (and some much smaller snakes) around here and not many of those and I don't think either could swallow a duck egg let alone five of them (but perhaps the milk snake might).

So she started a day later in a new nest in my lavender patch (Friday). Laid two days there. I brought the eggs in each night so night time predators wouldn't bother them and put them back in the nest each morning, including today. When I checked the nest mid-morning today there were no eggs at all and no sign of animal tracks. Couldn't find anything in my books and other literature about so am reaching out to my BYC friends.

If neighbors are watching me manage my nests they would have to watch via telescope as none are real close.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I could keep them in the coop until 8 AM (which I don't really want to do) or collect the outside the coop egg immediately after she lays, which isn't always possible. I could shoot the crows but the sudden sound of a gunshot really bothers the ducks and more crows would eventually take their place anyway. I will just have to get the outside egg ASAP when I can. I have tried other methods to keep crows out of my oats and nothing short of loud noises really work so I guess I will just have to be a human scarecrow (remember String Bean on Hee Haw?)!

I could keep them in the coop until 8 AM (which I don't really want to do) or collect the outside the coop egg immediately after she lays, which isn't always possible. I could shoot the crows but the sudden sound of a gunshot really bothers the ducks and more crows would eventually take their place anyway. I will just have to get the outside egg ASAP when I can. I have tried other methods to keep crows out of my oats and nothing short of loud noises really work so I guess I will just have to be a human scarecrow (remember String Bean on Hee Haw?)!
okay now your showing your age.. LOL I'd say that would be your best deal get the egg before the crows do, if they don't have anything to eat maybe they will stop coming around.

okay now your showing your age.. LOL I'd say that would be your best deal get the egg before the crows do, if they don't have anything to eat maybe they will stop coming around.

Yep, guess I am a showin' my age
old.gif
I beat them to it this morning, bum hip and all!

it was not me lydia i live to far and eat only two duck eggs a day.. .. for break fast but several more in other things .. but i wasnt not in new york state for a couple of years now i promise..

i do like newyork state though .. with all the lakes and ocean front .. much different from the mountain country hear in new mexico..

Maybe you could cover up the nest until she starts sitting.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom