eggs never get to fertilized

digghere1000

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 12, 2013
I have a rooster and a hen. I put them together for breeding purpose. The hen laid 15 eggs. I used three hens to sit on these eggs. Therefore, these eggs were less than six days old. The eggs were looking normal. The rooster looks very healthy. But none of them were hatched. Does anyone have any suggestion what to do to increase hatching ability?

Look like these eggs never get to fertilized.

I open the egg that laid yesterday. It shows INfertile egg. I have them in about 2 squares meters living space. Does the environment causes the rooster not produce sperm?

Last edited:
Among other things, age, extreme cold, short day length, illness, and nutrition can temporarily or permanently cause infertility.

How old is he and what breed? Have you seen him mount the hen?
Breeders often need a nutrition boost not provided by regular layer feed.

Oh, and welcome to BYC

Last edited:
He is about 18 months old. I saw him mount the hen regularly.

I bought them from the farm about two months ago. I'm not sure the history(illness) of them but they look very healthy.
I feed them the same as other pair that I have.

"nutrition can temporarily or permanently cause infertility" hope this is not the case.

A roo that's too fat can have fertility problems so, cut out all scratch grains since they also provide little in the way of vitamins, minerals and protein.
Try giving a vitamin supplement. Vitamin E and A deficiencies can cause low fertility or even sterility.
Hens underweight or overweight may also be infertile.
Birds that have recovered from some respiratory diseases may be infertile.
Roosters need longer daylength to be most fertile so keep checking the eggs as daylength increases.

You didn't say what breeds. That may give some insight.

Back
Top Bottom