Eggs not developing, what to do?

Spud395

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
I have a broody hen setting on a clutch of eggs (I got from a new supplier)
I candled them yesterday at day 8 and am pretty sure there's nothing in any of them.
What do I do? Dump the eggs or leave her sitting on them (it's not the hen she's hatched for me before!)

If they are clear on day 10, then you chunk them. Usually by day 4 you can see if they are developing or not unless they are darker eggs. Then they are harder to tell on.

And what happens poor old mammy hen then
hmm.png

well she will cackle and cluck for a a few days or so then start laying again that's all... i had a broody bantam hen that set on eggs from a RIR hatched and then when the chicks got about a month old had to split them up because they were too big for her. Then a Week Later she stopped cackling and she has a nest full of 7 eggs now but since its getting late in the year its best not to let her set any more so im collecting all the eggs but one

I do feel sorry for her.

If i was to get some more eggs and replaced the duds, 10 days in, would it be a bit much.
Would she stick a 31 day set

Most will stick to setting if you get them fertile eggs. Even at 10 or even 14 days and I've had a couple sit for a good long time after the first batch failed and they jumped someone else's nest to try again.

Back
Top Bottom