Eggs not fertile

henaynei

Songster
9 Years
Does anyone have an idea why a hen that is obviously being bred, in a run where other bred hens are laying fertile eggs, is only laying eggs that are not fertile?
In 3 batches I incubated all the eggs of one hen were fertile and none of the eggs of the other were not. I incubated a fairly even split of about a dozen eggs each over a 3 month period.
The ‘not’ hen is 2 years old as it the other one. There has been no known anatomical change such as injury or over weight. There is only one rooster in that run.
Both hens were fertile last year.

If you keep finding that her eggs are infertile while others hatch in the same incubator, I think it has gotta be written up as her simply becoming infertile. One of those mysteries of life I guess.
That is what I'm afraid of but she is my last hen of a rare heritage breed. I have to go to Illinois (12 hours away) to replace her. There is NONE of her kind within 300 miles of me...even further.

It is possible that she is rejecting or expelling the rooster's sperm. I have actually seen a hen do this immediately after getting tread on by a rooster once. Why they do it, I can't tell you, but I know some do.

Back
Top Bottom