Eggs not hatching..

kdj461

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 23, 2014
I have a hen that has hatched out 3 chicks, each one from a different hen.
(I have 3 hens sitting right now and none of them have been with a rooster but the hens that are with the rooster haven’t gone broody)
From 4 hens with fertile eggs 3 have had chicks hatch but for some reason the 4th hen’s eggs haven’t hatched. I’ve candled them and there doesn’t seem to be chicks in her eggs or any sign of growth, just the yolk is what I can see. Her eggs should be fertile because she is with a rooster. Any thoughts on what the problem could be? Thanks!!

I have a hen that has hatched out 3 chicks, each one from a different hen.
(I have 3 hens sitting right now and none of them have been with a rooster but the hens that are with the rooster haven’t gone broody)
From 4 hens with fertile eggs 3 have had chicks hatch but for some reason the 4th hen’s eggs haven’t hatched. I’ve candled them and there doesn’t seem to be chicks in her eggs or any sign of growth, just the yolk is what I can see. Her eggs should be fertile because she is with a rooster. Any thoughts on what the problem could be? Thanks!!

A rooster doesn’t guarantee fertility. Either the rooster isn’t doing his job or the hen whose eggs those were isn’t letting the seed go where it should.

Are they from the same flock that did hatch the other chicks?

Yes they’re from the same flock I finally took the 4 eggs from under her and I cracked them and none had started to develop at all. 3 eggs were from 1 hen and the last 1 from a hen whose other egg did hatch. I guess I miscalculated the time they would be fertile by a day or two which can make a big difference as to whether the egg is fertile or not.
I did get 3 beautiful little chicks so not a total loss...

Back
Top Bottom