Eggs not hatching

Chickenfarmer101

Chirping
Mar 24, 2019
This is my first time hatching duck eggs. It has been going very smoothly except these last few days. It is currently the 28th day and I see no external pip and I don’t want to candle because it’s very late in the process. What do I do?

Candle. Ducks are difficult and I find they don't always break through. The humidity and temp requirements are different than chickens as well, just in case you weren't aware.

I have two Pekín ducks and one of them (daisy) is getting way too heavy and starting to have leg issues. Can you tell me how I can have her to loos some weight.
Sorry I don’t have a lot of personal experience with this problem. But I can still try to give some insight. What feed are you giving them? Layer? Do you give them free access to feed. Maybe you could start measuring out feed daily? Also are they free range. That would make sure they are staying active and running around and stuff. Also a lot of feeds include cracked corn to keep them with a little fat but you could look for a corn free feed. Not sure if that would actually help a lot though. I just know corn is like the number one fattening grain for my birds.

I’m sorry your having this problem☹️. Unfortunately Pekins are just very susepctable to it because they are technically meat birds. Next time you might want to look for intentional layer pekins or another breed of ducks to try and avoid this. I hope some part of this helps! Good luck!!

Sorry I don’t have a lot of personal experience with this problem. But I can still try to give some insight. What feed are you giving them? Layer? Do you give them free access to feed. Maybe you could start measuring out feed daily? Also are they free range. That would make sure they are staying active and running around and stuff. Also a lot of feeds include cracked corn to keep them with a little fat but you could look for a corn free feed. Not sure if that would actually help a lot though. I just know corn is like the number one fattening grain for my birds.

I’m sorry your having this problem☹️. Unfortunately Pekins are just very susepctable to it because they are technically meat birds. Next time you might want to look for intentional layer pekins or another breed of ducks to try and avoid this. I hope some part of this helps! Good luck!!
My eggs still havent internally pip. It is now day 29. I’m thinking of giving up.

Back
Top Bottom