Eggs not quite right...

cotoletta

Songster
7 Years
Jul 17, 2014
London England
Hiya, one of my 16 week old hens (I have a rhode rock and a RIRxLS) laid an egg two days ago. It was a normal formed egg. Nothing yesterday and today I found this in the nest box. I’ve never experienced this before in other hens I have kept in the past.
I really think that both these eggs have come from one hen. I also noticed last night My rhode rocklooks as though an egg is trying to come out but then gets forced back up her vent when she is walking etc. I noticed it last night. Is anyone able to shed some light? Is this normal for first time layers to produce soft shell eggs? Thank you I will attach a photo

Attachments

• B0ACA1CA-C5AF-413D-B7D7-E5A10C8DE6F8.jpeg
    B0ACA1CA-C5AF-413D-B7D7-E5A10C8DE6F8.jpeg
    839.8 KB · Views: 36
What are they eating? I would provide oyster shells for extra calcium. Are they already on layer feed? And no that’s not normal for first time egg layers.

Hiya, one of my 16 week old hens (I have a rhode rock and a RIRxLS) laid an egg two days ago. It was a normal formed egg. Nothing yesterday and today I found this in the nest box. I’ve never experienced this before in other hens I have kept in the past.
I really think that both these eggs have come from one hen. I also noticed last night My rhode rocklooks as though an egg is trying to come out but then gets forced back up her vent when she is walking etc. I noticed it last night. Is anyone able to shed some light? Is this normal for first time layers to produce soft shell eggs? Thank you I will attach a photo
It can be "normal" for Pullets to lay soft shelled eggs, but it sounds like she's struggling with expelling the eggs.
Is she's stressed? What do you feed?
Any parasites?

I might give her a direct dose of poultry vitamins for a couple of days and 1/2 tablet of caltrate for 2 days only and see if that helps.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

It can be "normal" for Pullets to lay soft shelled eggs, but it sounds like she's struggling with expelling the eggs.
Is she's stressed? What do you feed?
Any parasites?

I might give her a direct dose of poultry vitamins for a couple of days and 1/2 tablet of caltrate for 2 days only and see if that helps.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
I am now wondering if it could be egg binding. I couldn’t sleep last night thinking about it so tried to see if I could find anything and it mentioned this. I’ll definitely head to farm shop later and pick up some vits etc for her. Thank you for the link and your help

What are they eating? I would provide oyster shells for extra calcium. Are they already on layer feed? And no that’s not normal for first time egg layers.
They’re still on growers feed as I thought they were still young to lay but I’ll switch them over to layers as I do have a bag I bought as back up. Thanks for the advice and Thanks again for your help

I am now wondering if it could be egg binding. I couldn’t sleep last night thinking about it so tried to see if I could find anything and it mentioned this. I’ll definitely head to farm shop later and pick up some vits etc for her. Thank you for the link and your help
They’re still on growers feed as I thought they were still young to lay but I’ll switch them over to layers as I do have a bag I bought as back up. Thanks for the advice and Thanks again for your help
Personally, I would leave them on grower feed - whatever has the highest protein - until they all come into lay. Even though she's a cross - she comes from large fowl/dual purpose so likely has more growing to do even if she's come into lay. Provide oyster shell free choice for her and the others.

Is she acting o.k. today? If she's still struggling, then you may need to check her out, feel inside the vent to see if there's an egg.

Personally, I would leave them on grower feed - whatever has the highest protein - until they all come into lay. Even though she's a cross - she comes from large fowl/dual purpose so likely has more growing to do even if she's come into lay. Provide oyster shell free choice for her and the others.

Is she acting o.k. today? If she's still struggling, then you may need to check her out, feel inside the vent to see if there's an egg.
I’ve bought some grit with added hits and oyster shells etc. Hopefully it will do the trick. She’s still yet to lay again but I’ve not noticed anything untoward in her behaviour. There has been a fox who keeps stretching up the side of the fence every other day early morning and scaring the girls so now wondering if it’s stress 😩. I’ll see how her next lay goes if one comes along and will feel inside her vent. Felt around her tummy and lower body externally and couldn’t feel anything so I’m really hoping it’s first timer bothers. Thank you again for your help, all advice taken on board and fingers crossed this is a minor blip is ‘growing up’

I’ve bought some grit with added hits and oyster shells etc. Hopefully it will do the trick. She’s still yet to lay again but I’ve not noticed anything untoward in her behaviour. There has been a fox who keeps stretching up the side of the fence every other day early morning and scaring the girls so now wondering if it’s stress 😩. I’ll see how her next lay goes if one comes along and will feel inside her vent. Felt around her tummy and lower body externally and couldn’t feel anything so I’m really hoping it’s first timer bothers. Thank you again for your help, all advice taken on board and fingers crossed this is a minor blip is ‘growing up’
Oh dear, the Fox could be a stressor in this situation.
Can you trap it?

Personally, I would offer the grit and oyster shell free choice. Hopefully this is just a glitch for a first timer. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom