Eggs on eBay

starfroggie

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Walla Walla
I am really curious, I have seen a number of eggs for sale on eBay which you can buy and then hatch out yourself. How on earth does this work in the mail? Don't the eggs have to be kept warm the whole time?

Hatching eggs can be stored at 50 - 65 oF for up to 2 weeks, though I've heard many people say less than 10 days is better. So they can indeed be shipped through the mail and hatch ( pending handling of the PO of course LOL )

I have eggs I bought off ebay that are due to arrive today. I can't give my experience yet but I know there is a lot of others on here who have purchased off ebay with good success.

Actually it is just the oppostie. You store eggs prior to setting them to hatch at a cool temp between 50 to 60 degrees with leeway on either end of those numbers. Once you receive the eggs, you let them rest for around 8 -24 hours at room temp and then set them at the temp necessary to hatch them. A mother hen lays eggs for 8 to 12 days and leaves them each day until she is ready to set. Once she sets the eggs all begin to germinate at the same time and her babies all hatch around the same time. It is the same with an incubator.

I'm doing this, but I don't expect great results as our mail-handler hates me for getting packages and thumped my eggs down on one edge of the package pretty hard. No damage to the eggs, as they were packaged brilliantly, but I'm assuming they were shaken up pretty badly!

If your mail-person doesn't hate you then maybe this has better results!

cozycritters, that is a terrible tale.

how many of you take your purchased eggs and put them under a broody chicken? Do you find you have a better or worse rate than using an incubator?

Quote:
I do hope you reported that? I filed a complaint about the mistreatment of my eggs that AE50mag sent me and I sent pics with the complaint form I got from the PO. They reimbursed me for the postage and sent me 2 books of stamps.
If we don't just "take it" they have to take action!

I have ordered off of eBay and there is also a site called Eggbid that I have used. I have had both good and bad hatches with both. Shipping eggs is a gamble but it can definitely pay off.

My very first experience ordering eggs off of eBay is what still has me hatching today.

I ordered 10 turkey eggs. They were bubble wrapped and in wood shavings and all made it. My three year old broke one before I could even let them rest after they arrived. I picked out the best looking 10 and set them under a very broody large Cochin.

Through the trials and tribulations of the ducks getting into her nest and everything, she still did a wonderful job of hatching out four very healthy poults, so I came out ahead. In that instance I had paid $28 shipped for the eggs and locally the poults would have cost $11 a piece. Three out of the four made it to adulthood, so it was a very good experience for me.

My advice, read their feedback, carefully read their ad, ask questions and only bid if you are comfortable. Bid on some inexpensive eggs and do a trial run, the worst thing that can happen is you get a zero hatch.

I ordered Black Australorps about a month ago, and they all showed up in perfect condition, but none of them hatched. I think they had been xrayed at the post office. Thats the chance you take. Only 1 had any growth and died around day 18.

I recently ordered 12 silkie eggs off of eBay, hoping for at least 2-3 chickie-poos. Well, they sent 18 and candling on day 8 shows FOURTEEN of them developing, and the other four I'm not totally giving up on yet. (Yes, I have dh planning another coop as we speak, ha ha ha!) I also have some Welsummer and Cuckoo eggs from eBay auctions that are set to hatch before the silkies. I've only been able to tell that a couple of them are developing though because those babies have such dark, thick shells that I'm not sure how most of them are doing. I guess I'll find out in about 8 1/2 more days!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom