EGGS ON OCTOBER?

klondike24680

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 6, 2012
Sheridan' Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
SO MY RHODE ISLAND RED IS BROODY FOR THE FIRST TIME! BUT THERE IS ONLY TWO PROBLEMS, 1. IT IS OCTOBER SO I DON'T KNOW IF THERES HIGH CHANCE OR LITTLE CHANCE OF THEM HATCHING. 2. I MEAN TO MOVE THE EGGS AND HER BUT SHES IN A SPOT WHERE IT IS IMMPOSSIBLE TO GET HER OUT, WHEN SHE IS OUT AND ABOUT FOR ABOUT 10 MINS, I CAN GET HER EGGS BUT MY HEN DOESN'T AGREE WITH THE SPOT I PICKED SO IM FORCED TO PUT THE EGGS BACK. PLEASE HELP ME SHOULD I MOVE HER? AND WILL THE CHICKS EVEN SURVIVE WHEN WINTER APPROACHES. I MEAN MY HEN IS SEVEN MONTHS OLD AND IM CONFUSED. SHOULD I JUST GET RID OF ALL THE EGGS ALTOGETHER. ONE LAST THING HOW TO I SEE THE CHICK INSIDE THE EGG WITH A LIGHTER. I ALSO PREDICTED THE EGGS TO BEGAN HATCHING ON OCTOBER 30TH. I NEED A LONG DETAILED EXPLANATION THAT ANSWERS ALL MY QUESTIONS, THANK YOU FOR THE HELP.
GINA
P.S THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IV'E EVER DONE THIS!
yippiechickie.gif
idunno.gif
barnie.gif

1. Yes the chciks can hatch this late in the year and be just fine. The mother hen will keep the eggs warm and once they hatch, she will keep the chicks warm. They should have just as good of a chance of hatching as they would in any other time of the year.

2. If she has picked a nice safe spot, then just leave her be.

3. To candle eggs, all you need is a flashlight and a dark area. So if you would like to see whats developing, go down to the coop after dark and remove the eggs one by one then simply shine the flashlight into them. The egg will light up and depending what day you are on, you may see a little embryo dancing around. They are a lot of good threads so that you can figure out what you should be looking for when candling. Here's one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/candling-pics-progression-through-incubation-of-chicken-eggs

This post isn't very long and detailed, so if you have any other questions feel free to ask!
big_smile.png

OKAY THINGS ARE CONFUSING AGAIN. SO I CANDELED THE EGGS AND IT IS ABOUT DAY 5. I DIDNT SEE ANY VEINS. MABEY THERE WERE BUT I COULDNT TELL. IS FLASHLIGHT NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH? ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS.:barnie

A brighter flashlight can help. Sometimes eggs are just too dark to really see into, what color are your shells? My medium brown eggs are imposible to get a good look into, I can only see shadows. When I hatch white eggs, I can see into them perfectly. Day 5 is a bit early too. I usually know what is developing by day 5 in my white eggs, but in the brown, I have to wait to really see anything until day 10. So give it more time, but there is a posibility that there really is nothing to be looking at. Stuff does happen and eggs are fragile. Just give it time.

I would wait a few more days. It can be hard to see anything for the first time. After you get used to it and know what you are looking for you can do it sooner. I would wait until day 10.

Okay thanks. I have brown eggs now and I don't really have a good flashlight either. I just hope they don't die. Also isnit normal for her to stop laying eggs? And I have two roosters and I don't know which one ... you know what I mean. Anyway what would a cross between a Rhodes island red and a buff brahama bantam or a golden laced bantam look like?

I live in Minnesota so it gets pretty cold here as well. And I have no idea what that cross would porduce, I don't think hardly anyone does. Lots of people end up will weird crosses so it's really just experimenting, they may turn out absoluetly gorgeous, or they may look, not so good. They could be amazing producers, or they could hardly lay any eggs. It would be neat to see how they turn out.

And hens usually stop laying, though I have had a couple continue laying for no reason. If she is still laying, you should mark the one's she's incuabting with an x using a sharpie and take out the newly laid egg daily.

MY DAD WANTS ME TO GET RID OF THE EGGS! ITS BEEN REALLY COLD AND HE DOESNT THINK THEY WILL SURVIVE. THE WEATHERS BEEN RAIN WIND AND MORE. BUT COVERED HER UP WITH A TARP AND NOW I DONT KNOW IF SHE'LL SURVIVE. SHE WAS WET WHEN I GOT HOME. ANY SUGGETIONS ON HOW I CAN MOVE HER AND THE EGGS TO THE COOP. ALSO I NEED YOUR OPINION ON THIS. I CAN HEAR THE WIND OUTSIDE I HOPE SHES OKAY.:(

It's been 40 degrees here so I know what you mean. Leave the eggs until at least day 10. They still have a chance depending on the mother. On day 10 go out and candle again, you may just see a small black shadow, but that would be your embryo, if all of the eggs are clear, you can throw them. It's been about 40 degrees here so I know what you mean, except we haven't had rain in a while. If she's getting wet, I would try to put some sort of shelter over her. Or, what I sometimes do is move her and the eggs to a large dog kennel. That way has room to move around and eat but not so much room that she would forget about the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom