Eggs on the counter vs fridge

SuperMurshy

Chirping
May 13, 2022
Looking for people's experiences here-
I've always kept my eggs on the counter unwashed and eat them within a month, then waterglass if I have a surplus, but how long in the fridge would they stay good for instead? Do you always wash them before refrigeratoring long term?

If I am going on a holliday and have a surpluss of eggs, I put them in the fridge.
unwashed. It extends the time you can eat them (not sure how long , maybe to 2 months?)

Normally I only wash eggs if they are pooped upon and I keep them in the fridge. These become the first to eat. Washing shortens the time the eggs are good to eat considerably.

I put mine in the fridge because at my house anything on the counter will either get squashed or knocked to the floor.

I put the eggs in a cupboard next to the fridge. Because I don’t have much room on the counter. And I keep them in old , marked and ugly recycled egg boxes. The letters on the egg boxes (A, B, C etc..) make it possible to take out the oldest eggs first.

I keep my eggs on the counter if I'm giving them away or don't have much room in my fridge. Otherwise they go in the fridge just because of habit. Just an fyi, if you are going to waterglass eggs, you should only waterglass fresh eggs, not ones that have been laying around. I would waterglass them within two or three days of them being laid. And do not wash them before waterglassing but make sure you only waterglass ones that are clean from the nest box

I keep my eggs on the counter if I'm giving them away or don't have much room in my fridge. Otherwise they go in the fridge just because of habit. Just an fyi, if you are going to waterglass eggs, you should only waterglass fresh eggs, not ones that have been laying around. I would waterglass them within two or three days of them being laid. And do not wash them before waterglassing but make sure you only waterglass ones that are clean from the nest box
Imho it not useful to waterglass fresh eggs. If I find a clutch with eggs and I don’t know how old the eggs are, I put them in a seperate box and waterglass them before opening and eating them.
I dubbelcheck. First I look if the eggs is going to the bottem of the glass pretty quick. If not I discard them.

Second, I open them one by one to inspect if the yolk is still good and the eggs is not smelly (rotten). One bowl to open, the second bowl 🥣 to gather and prepare the omelet.

Imho it not useful to waterglass fresh eggs. If I find a clutch with eggs and I don’t know how old the eggs are, I put them in a seperate box and waterglass them before opening and eating them.
I dubbelcheck. First I look if the eggs is going to the bottem of the glass pretty quick. If not I discard them.

Second, I open them one by one to inspect if the yolk is still good and the eggs is not smelly (rotten). One bowl to open, the second bowl 🥣 to gather and prepare the omelet.
That's nice that works for you. I waterglass fresh eggs because my girls lay more than my family and I can eat. When preserving any food, it's always best to preserve the freshest food you can, whether it's by canning, dehydrating, or waterglassing eggs

That's nice that works for you. I waterglass fresh eggs because my girls lay more than my family and I can eat. When preserving any food, it's always best to preserve the freshest food you can, whether it's by canning, dehydrating, or waterglassing eggs
Okay, I obviously thought waterglassing was something else (check the freshness) . If you want to preserve eggs, then using fresh eggs makes sense.

Okay, I obviously thought waterglassing was something else (check the freshness) . If you want to preserve eggs, then using fresh eggs makes sense.
Waterglassing is a way to preserve eggs in a water/lime solution for later use. My waterglassed eggs have been around for about a year now and are still fresh and good to eat

Back
Top Bottom