Huskeriowa

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 19, 2010
Iowa
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all.

Why are they laying eggs on the poop board? Did I do something wrong? I had a limited amount of room to juggle the floor area, and the nest above and the roosts above that. If you glance at my page you can see what it looks like. Will they figure out where to lay the eggs over time like they figured out the automatic door or do I need to do something? Thanks again.

My younger girls who just started laying have been laying on the floor instead of the many boxes available to them. I am thinking they will figure it out eventually.

Thanks for the reply. Yes hopefully they will. I know it took them a few weeks to figure out the timing of the door so i assume it takes a while to get the hang of the nest as well. They have only laid six eggs so far so it is still early in the process. And sorry if this isn't the right section to post this question.... It seemed to fit in the coop construction to me but I may be incorrect.

Last edited:
Could you remove the poop boards(trays) for a few days? You could thicken up the shavings a bit in case they drop the eggs. You could also put a golf ball or two in the nest boxes. I still find a stray egg in different places. I love your coop though!

Yes on the golfball/ceramic egg in the nest box...I've also heard they like a bit of privacy, so if you put a flap of wood across the top or a door with circular opening, they would be more comfortable laying in there.

Your nest box floor is higher off the floor of the roost, so if you are going to close down the access some to provide privacy, I suggest a board across the top - not the bottom...they might never even see the nest boxes in that case.

Back
Top Bottom