Eggs on the way- getting cold feet

Feb 15, 2022
Ok, I was super confident in my ability to hatch some eggs. I hatched a quail in a cheap incubator as a kid so I figured I could do it - but after reading Gail Damerow’s book on Hatching, I’m super worried I’ll mess things up (unhealthy chicks) or get no chicks at all. I’m ready to give up before I’ve even started…. Please talk me off the ledge!

You’ll be fine! I find there’s a lot of “rules” having to do with both hatching and raising chickens, but ultimately it depends on who you talk to. Just try to relax.

I've never done this, ever, but have read many posts. You can do it, and with better incubators and brooders, it seems easier. Follow the guidelines and advice given, and ask questions on this forum on your journey. After reading, seems that locally procured eggs would give the highest hatch rate, since they wouldn't be jostled during transit. If you happen to have a good broody breed, she's your easiest bet. All you'd need to do then is provide food and water for the chicks. Mom will teach them everything, and protect them.

Take a deep breath. Like I said on another thread I’m pretty sure if you took a poll on BYC 99.9% of us have made some sort of mistake when we first started incubating. I am not exaggerating we have all made mistakes on here. I have yet to meet someone who never made a mistake when they first started out. I personally think it’s a lot easier than some people make it out to be. Remember that everything you read online is a guideline and not a hard fast rule that must be adhered to or everything will cease to exist.

oh itl be fine .. its pretty simple, just put an extra gauge or 2 in your bator and get it all set good before you put the eggs in .. 99-100 on temp and 45-60 on humidity then if it auto turns just let it do its thing ..

Ok, I was super confident in my ability to hatch some eggs. I hatched a quail in a cheap incubator as a kid so I figured I could do it - but after reading Gail Damerow’s book on Hatching, I’m super worried I’ll mess things up (unhealthy chicks) or get no chicks at all. I’m ready to give up before I’ve even started…. Please talk me off the ledge!
I think it’s realistic to concider you could have to face no eggs hatching or unhealthy chicks. If you have a good incubator that increases your chances of success a lot but with shipped eggs there are often incubation and hatch issues even with perfect incubation.

Whether or not you want to deal with that is the question to ask. Hatching is amazing and rewarding but also can be really stressful. If you feel like you’ll be super down and hard on yourself if things don’t work out than give the eggs away and move on. If you want to give it a try just do you best and try to be ok with whatever results you get.

I've never done this, ever, but have read many posts. You can do it, and with better incubators and brooders, it seems easier. Follow the guidelines and advice given, and ask questions on this forum on your journey. After reading, seems that locally procured eggs would give the highest hatch rate, since they wouldn't be jostled during transit. If you happen to have a good broody breed, she's your easiest bet. All you'd need to do then is provide food and water for the chicks. Mom will teach them everything, and protect them.
My girls are a year old and none have shown any signs of going broody…

Keep a few extra batteries for the heat lamp, and just keep an eye on the chicks. You can do it. I’ve hatched a few flocks, and they mostly turned out fine. Just eyeball them. It’s okay if one or two doesn’t hatch, and it won’t be your fault. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom