Eggs or already hatched?

lonebluetear

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2016
I am totally new to this 'thread' stuff so have just found the 'duck thread'. For a newbie it ain't easy.

Anyhow, for those who have ducks, would you recommend eggs OR ones already hatched? If hatched, what is an appropriate age? I actually ordered an incredible (expensive, but I don't do anything else like eat out, go to bars, travel or have any fun - so this is my splurge), large coop and run that is quite impressive. It will be able to set it up in 3 weeks.

From what I've read, I think going with a duck who is over 4 months old would be ideal, but I can't find any of those. Also, I see there are Companies who ship birds. I guess they wouldn't be in business if it was harmful to the birds, but that seems a bit harsh to me. Do the birds handle the trip okay? Do they seem less healthy/happy than locally bought birds?

I am SO excited, but want to do this right for both the birds and myself - so want to gather as much information as possible. Any personal experiences/stories/advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Don't know about mail ordering full grown birds but day old ducklings do fine in the mail. I wouldn't do eggs if it were me but you can do as you please. Craigslist or your local stockyard may be a good place to find grown ducks.

Yeah, really hard to find breeds I am considering, locally. Adult birds seem impossible to find around here. I have 3 weeks though, so will keep looking for reputable sources.

So day-old chicks are fine being shipped? That's good to know! I was really wondering. Figured no one would ship an adult - that would be interesting. Chicks being fine with shipping opens up a whole new world. Thank you.

Yeah, really hard to find breeds I am considering, locally.  Adult birds seem impossible to find around here.  I have 3 weeks though, so will keep looking for reputable sources.

So day-old chicks are fine being shipped?  That's good to know!  I was really wondering.  Figured no one would ship an adult - that would be interesting.  Chicks being fine with shipping opens up a whole new world.  Thank you.

Check out Murray mcmurray hatchery. They are great for mail ordering day olds.

Excellent! Thanks again! I'll check them out now. I LOVE THIS SITE!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom