1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs or already hatched?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lonebluetear, Apr 12, 2016.

1. lonebluetear

lonebluetear Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    I am totally new to this 'thread' stuff so have just found the 'duck thread'. For a newbie it ain't easy.

Anyhow, for those who have ducks, would you recommend eggs OR ones already hatched? If hatched, what is an appropriate age? I actually ordered an incredible (expensive, but I don't do anything else like eat out, go to bars, travel or have any fun - so this is my splurge), large coop and run that is quite impressive. It will be able to set it up in 3 weeks.

From what I've read, I think going with a duck who is over 4 months old would be ideal, but I can't find any of those. Also, I see there are Companies who ship birds. I guess they wouldn't be in business if it was harmful to the birds, but that seems a bit harsh to me. Do the birds handle the trip okay? Do they seem less healthy/happy than locally bought birds?

I am SO excited, but want to do this right for both the birds and myself - so want to gather as much information as possible. Any personal experiences/stories/advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

2. TimCline

TimCline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    Don't know about mail ordering full grown birds but day old ducklings do fine in the mail. I wouldn't do eggs if it were me but you can do as you please. Craigslist or your local stockyard may be a good place to find grown ducks.

1 person likes this.
  3. lonebluetear

Apr 10, 2016
    Yeah, really hard to find breeds I am considering, locally. Adult birds seem impossible to find around here. I have 3 weeks though, so will keep looking for reputable sources.

So day-old chicks are fine being shipped? That's good to know! I was really wondering. Figured no one would ship an adult - that would be interesting. Chicks being fine with shipping opens up a whole new world. Thank you.

4. TimCline

TimCline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    Check out Murray mcmurray hatchery. They are great for mail ordering day olds.

1 person likes this.
  5. lonebluetear

Apr 10, 2016
    Excellent! Thanks again! I'll check them out now. I LOVE THIS SITE!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by