EGGS OR BABIES? When to buy chickens

kjpuggles3

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 24, 2011
So I am very eager to get my first set of beautiful chickens!!!! Its my first day at BYC and y'all have been so helpful!!!
thumbsup.gif
so thank you! But i am wondering- i am buying from mypetchicken.com and want to know whether to buy eggs and an incubator or baby chicks
jumpy.gif
and a brooder. Sorry if my chicken language is wrong- im very new at this
ya.gif
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
big_smile.png

Well starting from the egg is great for educational and excitement purposes (but after the first pip you might go a little crazy like me)
Starting from the chick reduces the hassle significantly.

Also in terms of equipment, starting from the egg needs: incubator + brooder
Starting from the chick needs: brooder

Just decide if you want the learning (i learned lots during incubation on this forum) and hassle, or less learning and less hasssle Also when you buy chicks i think MyPetChicken gives refunds or something, Eggs arn't guaranteed to hatch

The first thing you should do is take out every book from the public library on chickens and read what's there. Especially Stories Breed book, it will explain the breeds and personalities. Some are friendlier than others.

Since you would need a brooder anyhow if you hatched eggs, I'd suggest starting with chicks.

I'd also suggest an assortment of chicks. Two or three of each breed you think you might like. Chickens seem to flock together with their own breed and they won't be lonely.

Take care and
welcome-byc.gif

Rancher

kj....
welcome-byc.gif

I would suggest, and especially at this time of year, to go ahead and buy..which sounds like you are going to do. Like they have said, less expense, and you don't have to stress over whether you get any chicks or not for three weeks.
Then, you just may want to try the learning experience. Come spring.
wink.png

I've purchased chicks from mypetchicken twice and had them sent to me as a birthday gift last week. I can't say enough good things about them. However, the shipping can be very expensive. Now that I have found BYC, I would see what other members near me have chicks for sale and save the postage cost. However, you may have to wait til spring for that. Also in the spring feed store generally have chicks. But if you don't want to wait or if you can't find the breeds you want mypetchicken is a good way to go. I like raising chicks in my house (on the diningroom table no less) but they get very dusty and stinky in a hurry...by six to 8 weeks. I use a big, old, glass aquarium with a heat lamp. Some people use a big "Tupperware" tote, a cardboard box is ok too if you are careful with the heat lamp. Just be sure you have somewhere to transition them like a basement or garage if it's going to be cold out in a few weeks. Here in CT I doubt I'll put these chicks in the (unheated) coop until they are at least 10 weeks as it will be cold.

I have no experience with hatching eggs, it seems very stessful from what I see on BYC
hmm.png
But if my DH would let me get an incubator I would jump right in!
lol.png
I guess the age old question is still unanswered...which came first, the chick(en) or the egg????
lol.png

If you can be patient, the number of breeds available will increase by 10 fold.
Most of the MPC stock is out of stock until 2012. Chicks can be delivered end Jan-early Feb.

Back
Top Bottom