Eggs or Stew Pot !!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tonygrz, Nov 28, 2009.

1. tonygrz

tonygrz New Egg

Oct 18, 2009
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum so please be patient. I've read all the posts on molting and figured that 6 to 8 weeks is about normal. I have a dozen laying hens that finished molting but still haven't given me any eggs. It's been over 9 weeks since the last egg. Is this unusual?? I keep telling them that they either give it up or it's the pot for all of them !!!

Tony G.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Pump the lay pellets to 'em & leave the light on for 14 hrs. a day. This should get 'em rollin', unless it's just too cold.

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

It's not at all unusual. I don't expect to see more than one or two eggs a day until spring. Of course my hens are 2-6 years old.

If you want eggs every day you might want to go to the grocery store, there's a reason commercial farms went into production. Chickens simply will not lay on demand. [​IMG]

If they're only a year or two old just make sure they're not dealing with something like parasites. Make sure they have plenty of good quality feed and water and 12-14 hours of light a day and they will start laying when they can. They have no choice over whether or not they lay eggs, it's all hormones, health and genetics. If all you're looking for is eggs you might want to cull when they molt and start over. Egg farms will continually replace pullets after a year or so because it costs money to let them molt.

Otherwise let them do their thing, make sure they're healthy, and you will get eggs for years.

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    My momma always tried talking me into replacing my layers every year to have better production, but that would mean either incubating/setting or buying new chicks and then raising them for 22 or so weeks before the very first would give me anything. I just couldn't see the feasibility, in always replacing. I am trying to keep my chickens top secret in my town for now, because I never had enough eggs.......ever. I think you just have to save enough eggs for your family for the molts.

5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Remeber in your climate it's turning into winter- meaning less daylight hours and cold.

6. tonygrz

tonygrz New Egg

Oct 18, 2009
    Thanks for all the great replies. I think it's going to be light. It's not that cold. We've only gotten to freezing a couple of times so far. The coop is rather dark so I'll put a light in there with a timer and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Tony G.

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Give it some time once you put the light in as well.. I think it takes a lil bit to get there bodies back into egg pumping mode... I just had all my EE's Moult at the same time.. this morning got a huge green egg .. I think its a double yolker.. Patience also extra protien wont hurt..

8. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

layena 22% laying pellets, light, & some ciyanne. pepper flakes will get them a layin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by