Eggs Pointy End Up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heidi, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I received some eggs to hatch and when I opened the package they were pointed end up. I'm assuming they had been that way for 3 days. Is this going to have a bad effect on my hatching rate? Oh - I did correct the problem right away.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You mean small end up?

Maybe they got moved around enough during shipping that it won't hinder your hatch....

3. Heidi

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Yes, small end up. Any one else have this happen and get a good hatch?

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Ok, I confess I haven't had this happen...but my hen never puts them pointy side down and they hatch fine for her...lol. [​IMG]

Ok, sorry...time for serious answers now.

Julie [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've received them aircell up and also packed in smaller boxes on their sides. That time, my hatch wasn't great, but I doubt it was the packing. It could have been the strong cigarette smoke smell I got when I opened the box (can't be good for eggs, I'd think), or could have been the porous shells, so no telling. I'm no help on this one. You'd definitely want to let them sit for awhile.

6. Heidi

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Never thought of that Julie. I think these eggs are doomed. Our electricity went out and my DH was working late in town so I had to get the generator going. By the time I did the eggs in the bator had been in the 80's for awhile. Good thing there are only 6 and they were just a small hatch to keep me from being bored for another month until spring comes. Thanks for your imput to Cyn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by