Eggs poisoned?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kanat, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Kanat

Kanat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2008
    NC
    Did I screw it up? [​IMG]

I applied Zodiac Flea & Tick Spray to my chicken yesterday (3-5 pumps/each). I just panicked because when I examined one of my Sussexes I noticed that she had a lot of lice and had lost feathers from her rump!!! I also put Sevin into their nesting boxes.

By doing this did I poison their eggs and for how long time? [​IMG]

Zodiac ingredients: S-Methoprene, Pyrethrins, Piperonyl Butoxide, N-octyl Bicycloheptene Bicarboximide.

There must be someone who knows the answer!

Many Thanks in advance,

Suvi & 10 hens

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:No I don't think you screwed up.

I've never seen Zodiac use on chickens posted.

There is a few lines of thought about using pesticides on chickens and the withdrawal times.

1- Some people do not believe enough of the pesticide gets into the eggs to worry about.

2- Some people do not think topicals are are a problem.

3- Most often recommended is a 2 week withdrawal from the eggs.

It's kind of your decision. I have never faced this decision, but if it were me I would not eat the eggs for a couple weeks, just for the peace of mind. I honestly do not think the eggs would be dangerous. You do not need to waste the eggs. Cook and feed them back to the chickens, dogs etc. Although I have seen it posted that feeding them back to the chickens just reinoculates them.

Imp

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  3. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    I agree that you should wait a few weeks or so before eating the eggs. Good luck with your chickens! [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If you feed the eggs back to your chickens, you will be extending the withdrawal time...why reintroduce the poisons, however so slight; just as in worming, I recommend you toss them in the garbage.

5. Kanat

Kanat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2008
    NC
    Thanks all for your reply!

So I have decided not to eat any eggs for 2 weeks. The dogs can have some.

I have never given eggs for my chicken to eat- it would be kind of strange in my opinion....

By the way, I also e-mailed to the company that produces Zodiac and I'll let you know if they reply.

Why did I even do this![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Suvi & 10 hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by