1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs Put In Incubator @ Different Times?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brodysam, May 11, 2009.

1. brodysam

brodysam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Can I put eggs in the incubator at different times? I have some eggs that one of my chickens laid and I'm getting some in the mail in a few days too.

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    i do it, but you have to write the date on them so you know when they will hatch. some dont do well with a staggered hatch.

3. brodysam

May 7, 2009
    Ok, thanks.

4. chickie_mama

chickie_mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Lula, GA
    I've got 4 different batches going right now.

5. ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Central California
    Me too.. [​IMG]

6. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

It is not a good idea, but sometimes you have no choice.
    The problem is raising the humidity for the last 3 days of the earlier eggs that do not get turned while continuing to turn the later eggs without opening the cover during the 1st hatch and having the humidity drop...there are some real ingenious people here that can figure out ways of doing things. There may be better ideas.
    I have an automatic turner and if i was to try this, I would take out the unused racks to make room for the 1st eggs that do not get turned the last 3 days.
    If you are turning manually, have a spray bottle with hot water to mist while you are turning.
    Good luck!

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have 2-3 batches in one bator going right now. If I had to do it all over again, I would not do it. I had 3 of my own eggs on day 20 today. Luckily, there was enough room on the side of the turner to place them. I increased the humidity a little bit to 50% right now. The next 2 batches were 1 day apart so tomorrow I will take the turner out for good and bot up the humidty even more-I'm stressingout big time over this. I am going to be so upset if this really does damage to my babies-I'm so attached and haven't even met them yet! I wish you luck if that's what you decide to do-like another posted, there are ALOT of ingenius people on here. I'm am not one of them who is brave enough.. hahaha... I hope this works!!! good luck with yours...

8. brodysam

May 7, 2009
    Ok, I'm convinced. I'm going to wait and put them in all at one time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by