Eggs smell like poop?

Destinyrae92

Hatching
May 4, 2020
Just tried to cook one of my chicken eggs after washing it and while it was cooking is smelled exactly like chicken poop! What would cause this?? And no it’s not just the way yard eggs smell. It smells exactly like their poop and it’s not the shell.

Just tried to cook one of my chicken eggs after washing it and while it was cooking is smelled exactly like chicken poop! What would cause this?? And no it’s not just the way yard eggs smell. It smells exactly like their poop and it’s not the shell.
We have the same problem with one of our hens. It’s in the yolk. I know it’s not their food. We have read about something not being metabolized correctly. Not really sure. We have to break one at a time to make sure we don’t mix it in bc it’s nasty!

We have 3 polish girls that are just beginning to lay (aren't sure which are laying and which aren't just yet). When we crack the small white eggs, there is a terrible sulfur smell. We've not experienced this with our other chickens as they began laying and wondering if it has to do with them being new "layers" or if one might be sick? They have a large fenced yard and are fed the same layer pellets as all the others...help!

I am just encountering this same issue with my chickens. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? And were you able to eliminate the problem?

lol well I think one of my chickens poops always smell like eggs so maybe you just have similar smelling chicken poop
I have had chickens for six years and I have never had the yolk smell and taste like chicken poop. It is nauseating to smell on your breakfast plate. And while this issue persists I cannot sell my eggs. I am trying to figure out what is going on. If you have any insight into what could be causing this, that would be awesome.

I have had chickens for six years and I have never had the yolk smell and taste like chicken poop. It is nauseating to smell on your breakfast plate. And while this issue persists I cannot sell my eggs. I am trying to figure out what is going on. If you have any insight into what could be causing this, that would be awesome
no, I meant that to me chicken poop smells eggy, so maybe the egg just smells eggy. I don't have any insight, sorry! was just sharing

we are having the same problem with our eggs! My daughter was making eggs, and she handed me my plate. I took my first bite and vomited because my Eggs tasted the same way chicken poop smells! I thought maybe she hadn't washed them very good, but it happened again the next 2 times I tried to make eggs. I cleaned them very well, with dish soap and scrubbed them very good with a brush. Then while I was cooking them, it smelled like chicken poop!

While I don't know the answer to this and am trying to figure it out myself, maybe we can share knowledge and experiences and figure it out together. The only thing I can figure is that it is because the chickens are pooping on their own eggs, and eggs are porous. But I also know that there is an outer layer that Coates the eggs before you wash them, but once you wash them, then that's when you have to refrigerate them because bacteria can get into the pores. So I think the outer layer is getting damaged somehow before washing, and it's allowing the bacteria from the chicken poop into the pores. Our chickens do have mites right now, and my boyfriend said he even found a few holes in some of the egg shells from the mites. So my best guess is that the mites are destroying the outer protective layer of the eggs. Can you check and see if your chickens have mites as well?

Back
Top Bottom