1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eggs sticking to butt feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Schrebergaertner, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Schrebergaertner

Schrebergaertner Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    I ran a few searches for this but only found one similar question in the middle of a huge unrelated thread and it wasn't really answered. One of our girls must lay particularly sticky eggs, for at least twice she's jumped out of the nest box with an egg stuck to her rump. DW actually watched it happen once and grabbed it before it fell. Two other times we've found eggs below the boxes (one broken, one intact). We're new at this, and have felt the slight dampness/stickiness on freshly laid eggs, and wonder if there's anything tht can be done to keep her from carrying them out with her. Trimming those feathers back there might help, but would be involved and she might not like it. Or maybe we just leave it, since it's only the occasional egg that it happens to.

Anyone else have this problem? Thanks very much!

Don (3 each RIR, BO, BR, and EE)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'll bet this is the BO. I would do the trimming. You can just trim the end of the feathers, not the whole length. She won't pay any attention once it's done.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Exactly, and it will help keep her from having a poopy butt too.

4. Schrebergaertner

Schrebergaertner Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Thanks! Good call--it was indeed the BO. You guys are good!

5. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    she will complain but trimming the fluff wont hurt her, just be sure to avoid pink part of the feather base, only trim ends.
    I have to keep my cochin trimmed too, the joy of fluffy birds [​IMG]

6. jdellosso

jdellosso Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2009
    Alameda, CA
    Um, what's BO? I have two cochins, and I have to keep the fluffiest's hiney trimmed. She would get a bit distressed with that egg stuck to her backside, and they can be tough to get off once the goo dries. I feel like I will hurt her, pulling the thing off. She would just stay in the nesting box knowing the job just wasn't complete. A bit of landscaping definitely reduces poopy behind, as previously mentioned, as well!

Might have something to do with age and size of the box, too. Mine got stuck when they were just beginning to lay, but now they seem to have it down. Good luck!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Buff Orpington is what BO is.

I had one but she was a Silkie/Cochin x Barred Rock. Her small egg was always sticking in her fluff and she'd walk around with it, and eventually, it would come off in the yard somewhere, LOL. We said she had "Velcro Butt Fluff".

8. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by