Eggs taste horrible

I would absolutely change my feed! my eggs are creamy and good and I feed layena made by purenia brand. I also feed scratch by purenia. mine eat bugs and stuff that come in there run grasses and mealworms. its got to be something they are eating! sometimes it pays to buy a bit more expensive feed because you get out what you put in. before I was buying a generic feed and the eggs were not as creamy and the yolks were pale. after I switched it changed the eggs back to delicious deep colored yolks. so from now on I pay a little more for the purenia. its only a few dollars difference but the quality of feed was much better. if its effecting the eggs taste and ruining the eggs its time to try some other brand. I know layerna has been good from purenia. maybe give that a try and see if your eggs are better? if they don't get better it must be something they are eating while free ranging? I wish you good luck. try the process of elimination and find out the cause. I'd start with the feed. good luck

Try a different feed as an experiment, at least. You'll get your answer quickly enough.

I feed Nutrena Naturewise, but they mostly free-range, so I guess I feed weeds, kitchen-scraps, maggots, grubs, worms, crickets, whatever they steal away from the dog, mosquitoes, dirt and they taste absolutely heavenly.

I recently started giving them fresh garlic because I guess it's healthy. I was concerned that the eggs would taste garlicky, but they don't. They do taste different, but we can't say just how they're different. They're just better! Like they're pre-seasoned or something. And the chicken-coop smalles like spaghetti-sauce, which is kinda cool.

I would absolutely change my feed! my eggs are creamy and good and I feed layena made by purenia brand. I also feed scratch by purenia. mine eat bugs and stuff that come in there run grasses and mealworms. its got to be something they are eating! sometimes it pays to buy a bit more expensive feed because you get out what you put in. before I was buying a generic feed and the eggs were not as creamy and the yolks were pale. after I switched it changed the eggs back to delicious deep colored yolks. so from now on I pay a little more for the purenia. its only a few dollars difference but the quality of feed was much better. if its effecting the eggs taste and ruining the eggs its time to try some other brand. I know layerna has been good from purenia. maybe give that a try and see if your eggs are better? if they don't get better it must be something they are eating while free ranging? I wish you good luck. try the process of elimination and find out the cause. I'd start with the feed. good luck
Feed will make a difference. Too much flax seed can also make eggs fishy. Purina is fine, but the dark yolks are merely from the marigolds Purina adds. Not really sure it adds anything healthy, just color. My chickens would never eat marigold flowers.

I have been having the same problem and I WAS using Purina layena crumbles. I went back to Southern States feed. But still noticing the off tasting like the coop smells eggs - musty taste. They are not free range but in a run. I keep it raked out and put down straw to absorb anything. We keep the coop clean. I did throw out some cheap scratch that may have gone bad and stopped the oyster shell. But still getting that taste. I do not think it is the Southern States feed. Purina sits around too long sometimes in the Tractor Supply where I bought it. Not sure how long it will take to get the taste out. I noticed when I scramble them that they look watery in the bowl. Is that a feed issue or water issue? Will not changing their water make the eggs taste bad? I replaced my waterer with a new one and keep it washed out with dawn and clorox when I change the water and rinse it well. Any ideas?

^ not related to the horrible tasting eggs, but if your coop smells musty it may be bc of the straw. Especially if your coop has a tendency to stay a bit damp (like if you have a dirt floor). When I used straw in my dirt floor coop, it always had that musty basement smell. After I switched to pine shavings, it just smells like fresh pine :)
Anyway, my chickens eat all kinds of stuff. Pretty much anything that wont eat them first. I've never noticed an off taste. But, I've always gotten my feed from the same place. I switch feed type depending upon what cheapest, but it'd always the same brand. I would definitely take a look at what the ingredients are in your feed though, and especially keep an eye out for flax seed. I've read many posts where people fed too much flax and then couldn't stand to eat their eggs. Good luck, I hopebyou get it sorted out!

Back
Top Bottom