Eggs taste like regular ol' store ones

Attachments

• 1582747742603247669221372738596.jpg
    1582747742603247669221372738596.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 7
To me its not the color of my yolks, its getting my flock through 4 cold and confined months spent in the coop with little outdoor time. Both the hay and the carrots give them something to do.
The bale of alfalfa hay cost around 12 dollars and last the entire winter. The bag or 2 of deer carrots cost about 4 dollars a bag (big bags)i also purchase a bag of apples to for variety.
The other stuff mentioned in this post does not seam practical to me. Or at least for my size flock.
I would go broke buying red peppers or kale for my peeps.
Location, local avalibility, products in season or that store well....all of this differs for most of us.
i wish i was friends with my local produce department fella at the grocery store. I bet he throws a lot of stuff away my chickens would LOVE.

To me its not the color of my yolks, its getting my flock through 4 cold and confined months spent in the coop with little outdoor time. Both the hay and the carrots give them something to do.
The bale of alfalfa hay cost around 12 dollars and last the entire winter. The bag or 2 of deer carrots cost about 4 dollars a bag (big bags)i also purchase a bag of apples to for variety.
The other stuff mentioned in this post does not seam practical to me. Or at least for my size flock.
I would go broke buying red peppers or kale for my peeps.
Location, local avalibility, products in season or that store well....all of this differs for most of us.
i wish i was friends with my local produce department fella at the grocery store. I bet he throws a lot of stuff away my chickens would LOVE.
You could always dumpster dive 😋

I feed my flock Nutrena All Flock with 18 % protein. In the winter months they get scratch and a bit of corn before bedtime. I also get them out of the coop and run as much as weather permits. I give them occasional greens but not too much. The eggs are more flavorful than store bought eggs. The big difference I’ve noticed is the whites are tender not rubbery and the yolks are almost orange and are less likely to break. I think the main difference between commercial eggs and “home grown” are the amount of time the commercial eggs sit around before they are consumed.

Back
Top Bottom