Eggs that have frozen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by giavanna, Jan 15, 2009.

1. giavanna

giavanna New Egg

Nov 29, 2008
    New Berlin, WI
    This is our first winter w/chickens. We live in WI and it's 18 below this morning. My husband brought up the eggs from the coop and they're frozen and have a crack. Can I still use them?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I dont, I just toss them. [​IMG] I hate seeing a frozen egg.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I thaw them and feed them to the dogs or kittys. You can boil it, crumble it and feed it back to your chickens.

4. wannahavehens

wannahavehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Hemlock, New York
    Could you fry them up and give them back to chickens or to dogs if you have them?

5. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] & [​IMG]

It is perfectly fine to eat. A lot of members here freeze their excess eggs for future use (they usually freeze them in ice cube trays then bag - so you can pull out a defrost 1 egg @ a time). You probably do not want to fry them (scrambled is fine just not sunny side), the texture may be just a little "off", that is why members here generally bake with them......
    HTH

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    Generally, if the membrane has been broken I will feed the egg to my dog. If the membrane is still intact, I will use them up right away.

7. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Yeah that.

8. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
    I would feed it to my animals, but I would also have no problem eating it myself. No spoilage organism could grow in such intense cold, broken membrane or no. As long as you cook it promptly after it thaws I wouldn't worry about germs.

9. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed them back to the chickens. Since that is the only time the get eggs.

10. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I use mine, never been sick. But I also use them for doggie treats too. My lab loves to search for them in the deep snow. It's a good treat for her and good excersize.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by