Eggs this am

Jerseyduckmom

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2015
I am a new duck mom as we have only had our babies since this past March. I have done some research however, I still have many questions :) I went to the duck house this am only to find one egg. She dropped it in front of her water/food area. This area gets very messy so I moved the egg to where it appeared she was attempting to lay it. Looked as though she had started a nest. She knows the egg is there as I have had her in her house several times today to show her where it is. She has taken a little interest in it. However, she has not laid on it at all as of yet. Is there reason for concern? Is only laying one egg normal? Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

welcome-byc.gif
One a day or one every other day is all that ducks will lay. Depending upon her breed she will not set upon the eggs until she has laid what she regards as a clutch. Understand that not all breeds of ducks will incubate their eggs. No reason for concern - all is normal.

Ducks only lay an egg every day to every other day. There is no reason why she would go back and sit in on it. Do you have a male? A duck will build a clutch and when she feels she has enough eggs she *may* sit on them. However not all ducks will or do go broody. She laid her egg so enjoy your egg breakfast tomorrow!

They are characters! Will the eggs hatch or will I need to incubate if we want ducklings?
She will need to go broody and sit tight on them for a month or you will need to incubate them. However I would let her start laying for a bit before gathering eggs. You can have some funky eggs the first few weeks that they start.

Great information. Thank you. I have not taken the first one want to wait and see how the things progress naturally first.

Back
Top Bottom