Eggs to eat or to sell?

BarefootMom

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Half Way, Missouri
Just wondering how many people on here sell eggs or just have enough hens to feed family and friends?? And if you do sell them-what do you get for them?

I sell eggs and eat several too. Both my kids LOVE eggs.

I sell eggs for $1.50 a dozen. There is a lady down the hwy from me that sells for $1 a dozen but it doesn't bother me because I had a customer drop and buy from her for awhile and then he came back
smile.png
Said her eggs were a lot more runny and pale looking. Plus she doesn't free range her chickens and has them all caged up in rabbit like cages. When it comes down to it-Quality is always on top
smile.png

Oh and I also sometimes trade my eggs for things...
Sometimes I trade a local dairy farmer for fresh milk
I have traded them for a birthday cake from a local cake decorator
Traded eggs for babysitting...lol

Mine aren't laying yet, I should have 16 layers...I have people waiting! Mine have over 300 acres to free range and plenty of yummies! I plan on asking $2.00 a doz to start with, but that could go up to $2.50, we will see!

My plan was to get 5-6 eggs per week from each of 3 chickens -- giving us 15-18 eggs. The objective was mostly for our own use.

My pullets have started producing more---and for the last two days I have gotten an egg from each of my three---and before that 3-eggs every-other day...then 2-eggs on the opposite day. (Egg math?)

If they go for a long period, and each lays an egg-a-day... that would be 21 eggs per week. At that point I would give some to friends and family....and if they were saturated, I would give some to a local nurshing home/old folks home. I guess they are beating the heat (101-degrees today). And since I am new to chickens, I am expecting them to reduce laying, then the moult, then the winter.

for people who sell eggs and have regular customers, do you have lots of extras so you can 'guarantee' to have enough for your regular customers?

Keeping track of the costs--I have found some software called 'eggzy' www.eggzy.net . you have to enter your monthly costs, but it will compute your per egg cost and your per dozen cost...which would help flock owners to know what it is costing them in order to price their eggs accordingly.

count me on the non-selling 'use them all' side of the tally.

I sell mine for $2 a dozen, as long as they bring egg cartons. Without egg cartons they're .50 more. I keep all my bantam eggs for myself, and selling the big girls eggs just about buys their food.

At this time, we are just using our banty eggs to feed ourselves, friends and family. We have a dozen hens and anytime we go visiting I always bring my extras with us. So far, no one has locked there doors and pretended they weren't home when we show up.
lau.gif

I'd eventually like to get into selling them but it'll be a year or two before I get there.
we're dicussing getting into large breeds so we'll need another coop. One of these days...

Dawn

It's so complicated to sell eggs in Oregon I haven't ventured to do so. I assume most the folks who do don't do it legally though cause you are suppose to jump through so many hoops to do so.

I'm interest to see how much your stores charge for eggs. Over here, free range are around $5 or $6 per dozen (or sometimes in packs of only 10) and if you want certified organic freerange then they are over $7 per dozen.

AT the farmers markets they sell for about $4 per dozen.

I plan on giving mine away :) We only have three chooks, and will only have an extra dozen to spare each week.

so, are there any legal pitfalls of donating your eggs if you're not being inspected or set up as a business? We have 9 brown layers (as of right now-they're only a week old) but realize if we end up with 6-7 eggs a day we won't be able to eat them all no matter how much I bake. I was thinking it would be great to donate them to our local food bank but was worried about the legal consequences if someone got sick and decided to blame us? What are your imputs? thanks oh, and for those of you who sell do you have insurance? we're not a "sue" happy hear in Canada but one has to wonder when that day may come. I don't want to walk into a potential disaster.

Quote:

Last edited:
I've previously sold eggs to friends and charged $2/dozen. This is pretty cheap since that is about the same price as regular eggs sold at the grocery store. Organic, free range eggs are usually $3-4/dozen at the store. A friend is selling hers for $4/dozen at a local farmer's market which I think is a little high.

Back
Top Bottom