Eggs..........to wash or not to wash?

I don't know what others would suggest, but I do wash them before refrigerating them. I wash them using my hands and some dawn, to get the poo and nasty off of them. I don't scrub them or anything, but I can't see putting them in the fridge all dirty. Mine sometimes have spots on them and they don't wash off easily. So, I don't worry too much about it. If it comes off with a bit of dawn and my hands, then good. If not, then fine, I don't eat the shells anyway.
smile.png

If these eggs were for my own use, I'd feel the same way, only I'm planning (hopefully) to be selling eggs. Just didn't know if there would be any reason I shouldn't wash them.

I would use sandpaper to clean them off , Ive always heard washing them is bad because they are porous, but the eggs you buy in the stores have been though a washer so who really knows

gig.gif
I can't believe so many of you guys wash em - where are the folks that don't?

Really, I've never gotten sick or anything, but then again I don't eat the shell so
idunno.gif

Any GFM read this start a poll and link it here so we can see!

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm with ya
Mine go in the frige the way they came out of the coop. I will wash any dirt or poo off when we use them. When I am going to use them I wash with warm water no soap and simply rub off any debris. So far we are all ok.

Back
Top Bottom