Eggs..........to wash or not to wash?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chris623, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Chris623

Chris623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Central Oklahoma woods
    The title pretty much says it all. My eggs have little brown spots and swirls, etc. on the shells. Is it okay to wash off this residue?

2. Stephanie-n-Hayden

Stephanie-n-Hayden Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    I don't know what others would suggest, but I do wash them before refrigerating them. I wash them using my hands and some dawn, to get the poo and nasty off of them. I don't scrub them or anything, but I can't see putting them in the fridge all dirty. Mine sometimes have spots on them and they don't wash off easily. So, I don't worry too much about it. If it comes off with a bit of dawn and my hands, then good. If not, then fine, I don't eat the shells anyway. [​IMG]

3. Chris623

Chris623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Central Oklahoma woods
    If these eggs were for my own use, I'd feel the same way, only I'm planning (hopefully) to be selling eggs. Just didn't know if there would be any reason I shouldn't wash them.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Only if they have poop or dirt all over that won't just wipe off.

I don't wash the eggs from my girls. [​IMG]

5. lorrir

lorrir Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Upstate SC
    I wash with antibacterial dishsoap. Sorry just paranoid.

6. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    I would use sandpaper to clean them off , Ive always heard washing them is bad because they are porous, but the eggs you buy in the stores have been though a washer so who really knows

7. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    When you wash them, you're getting rid of the bloom so I wait until a customer (or myself) need them.

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] I can't believe so many of you guys wash em - where are the folks that don't?

Really, I've never gotten sick or anything, but then again I don't eat the shell so [​IMG]

Any GFM read this start a poll and link it here so we can see!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  9. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Wilsky, I've never gotten sick either. I have had customers (in the beginning) complain if there's any nest goodies on them so I do it to keep them coming;)

10. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:I'm with ya
    Mine go in the frige the way they came out of the coop. I will wash any dirt or poo off when we use them. When I am going to use them I wash with warm water no soap and simply rub off any debris. So far we are all ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by