Washing eggs question

RaesChicks

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Southeastern US
I gathered these eggs in the last 3-5 days and have had them in my counter. I forgot to wipe some of them off before storing. Should I toss the dirty ones? Wash them all? Do I need to sanitize my counter or the eggs? All the videos and posts I’ve read say wipe them off before storing wash before use, but I’m not sure what to do if I failed to follow those steps. Any advise?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 68
I personally wouldn't wash any of those. Just make sure you don't get dirt in anything when you crack them. If it makes you feel better, wash them right before you use them. No need to sanitize, eggs have a bloom on them, that keeps dirt and germs out. And don't worry about your counter, just wipe it like normal

I've never heard of wiping in addition to washing. What does that achieve? If they are dirty from poop, wiping dry without water won't do much, and wiping with water you might as well wash at that point and it will remove the bloom, so you'd need to refrigerate. I don't think you need to do anything to these eggs. They are fine on the counter for up to 3 weeks. If you think you won't eat them in that time, then put them in the fridge. No need to sanitize eggs, just wash them right before cooking, to avoid particles of dirt/poop falling into the bowl. I sanitize the counters (and by that I mean, wash with soap and water) only if they've been touched by the shells of unwashed eggs, or raw egg has dripped on the counter.

I personally wouldn't wash any of those. Just make sure you don't get dirt in anything when you crack them. If it makes you feel better, wash them right before you use them. No need to sanitize, eggs have a bloom on them, that keeps dirt and germs out. And don't worry about your counter, just wipe it like normal
I have wondered about this myself. I lucked out BIG TIME, and all 14 lay in the laying boxes with me as Mama hen. The boxes are always clean (yay)! They make cute little nests from the straw, and it gets changed twice a week. I rarely have anything other than a bit of straw or a tiny feather on my eggs. We're safe to not wash, sterilize, and bleach them before cracking? Are the brown organic $9 a dozen grocery store eggs washed (I am presuming so). Darling Hubby the Farmboy wants to know why they cost so much, then?

I have wondered about this myself. I lucked out BIG TIME, and all 14 lay in the laying boxes with me as Mama hen. The boxes are always clean (yay)! They make cute little nests from the straw, and it gets changed twice a week. I rarely have anything other than a bit of straw or a tiny feather on my eggs. We're safe to not wash, sterilize, and bleach them before cracking? Are the brown organic $9 a dozen grocery store eggs washed (I am presuming so). Darling Hubby the Farmboy wants to know why they cost so much, then?
I've never given it much thought to be honest. If no poop or blood has gotten on the eggs, then I don't see the point to sterilizing/bleaching them before use. If you use eggshells to scoop out shells from a yolk mix then maybe you might want them washed beforehand just in case, but if the egg is getting cooked then shouldn't most bacteria be killed during that process anyway? Everyone has their own comfort levels when it comes to washing eggs before use, and I'm more on the lax end of the scale.
In the UK they vaccinate their chickens against salmonella, so they also don't wash eggs as far as I can recall.
Eggs sold in a store are likely washed and have no bloom, but you are not paying for the best quality or healthiest product when you buy the organic label - you're literally paying for the word organic when you buy from a store unless they're a tiny one with nearby farmers that provide the eggs fresh. In my area the rules for organic and free range in the commercial industry are so laughable I don't even bother with most organic produce. All it means right now for us in Canada is slightly less pesticide and less chemicals involved than non-organic, although I have heard they are cracking down on it more so maybe the organic label will start meaning something soon. Not sure what it's like in the States or other countries...

Back
Top Bottom