eggs turning until placed in incubator

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by candyschicks, Dec 27, 2015.

1. candyschicks

candyschicks New Egg

Dec 27, 2015
    As you will see i am VERY new to raising chickens. My husband looked at the history on my iPad and saw that i had looked at the 1502 GQF incubator many times over the last few months. I really wanted one, but being an old lady I was afraid I wouldn't understand how to properly use it. Well Christmas morning what a surprise there sat that beautiful incubator! Now everyone knows my story and how insecure I am about the process, my question is can the 1502 be used as an egg turner while collecting enough eggs to start the incubator. I only have 35 orpingtons, and some are just now laying. I unfortunately ended up with 4 extra roosters that were sold as hens, they were 22 weeks old and all looked the same when purchased. I am never going to fill the bator up, but Im getting 6 eggs a day and would like to collect for 7-8 days.

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! I have no experience with that incubator. I would love to get one but I just don't have the money and I don't like automatic egg rotators. You don't have to turn the eggs until you begin to incubate eggs.

3. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Welcome! You came to the right place. This site is full of helpful people. When you get a chance check out the learning center, it is a great place to get lots of good info.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    I have not yet tried my hand at incubation, it is in my 5 year plan. But I would think that anyone who could run an ipad, can run an incubator ;). Look at the incubation thread, they should be able to walk you through it.
    It is great to meet you!

4. candyschicks

candyschicks New Egg

Dec 27, 2015
    Thanks Birdrain92, someone told me differently, but that relieves that stress! ill just start putting them in the racks small side down until i run it.

5. candyschicks

candyschicks New Egg

Dec 27, 2015
    Thanks, I,ve already gotten some valuable info, this site is going to be my support group LOL

6. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Glad to relieve the stress. When watching my duck and peahen she will not touch her eggs until she has a complete clutch. Then she'll start incubating eggs and will rotate them. Until then her eggs won't be touched.

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us and congrats on your new incubator!!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by