Eggs vanishing with no trace. Need ideas.

I used bird netting around the bottom of my coop/run on the out side. Snakes can't get in they get caught in it and die. I had to set a big rat snake free the other day.

We seem to have an over abundance of egg-eating snakes this summer. The first one we caught in the act and it was trying to digest the egg - interesting! They take them whole and swallow and then digest. I'm sure everyone knows this, but I was a city girl from Los Angeles now living on 5 acres in Florida. haha. Anyway, when I only get a few eggs instead of 8 or 10 a day I know there is a snake. In checking the coop, sure enough! We remove them each time, and I'll bet you it is the same one that comes back a week later for more cause we don't have the heart to kill them. hahaha. But, we do know the snakes are enjoying our eggs! We have chicken wire over all the air vents, but that isn't going to keep out a snake!

I posted it in one of my posts.
This one?
We too found a thief a while ago. She was stealing our guinea eggs in the dead of night, right from under the guinea hens.
We went outside because we saw her flashlight. We called the sheriff. He asked her what she was doing. She carried a wire basket for the eggs. The basket had 1" openings.
Guess what her answer was:
Why officer. I was doing no harm. I was collecting night crawlers! (Night crawlers are earth worms)
Yeah right, earth worms in a wire basket?
The officer was so angry over that stupid lie, he told her he was hauling her a-- straight to jail. Can you imagine?

Everything is torn apart this week as we do new coop renovations, so no update.

Funny people are mentioning people stealing the eggs. My husband asked if the neighbors groundskeepers and maid could be sneaking through the woods to take them, as their outdoor storage where they hang out is only about 30 feet away from the coop through the trees. I thought that was a far fetched idea - surprised to see people posting that happened to them!

Back
Top Bottom