Eggs "weeping"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yard full o' rocks, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Its day 17 for me and I have a 'bator full of misc "flavors" of Rocks. So far I have had 3 barred rock eggs that began "weeping" that I had to remove (no explosions so far, thank goodness) and boy do they stink. Anyway, does anyone know the cause of this? I have incubated orps of all colors, welsummers, EEs, RIRs and have never encountered this. Wondering if I have done something wrong, or if this just happens occasionally. THANKS [​IMG]

2. CindyS

CindyS Songster

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    sounds like they have been invaded with bacteria. Its nothing you did wrong, maybe one hen lays an extremely porous egg or lays in a spot thats not too clean. I have had it happen, not too often but maybe one out of 100 chicken eggs, it happens more with turkey and duck. With duck its more of a white foam. Sometimes I can smell the smell but I cant find the exact egg till I get it on my hand while turning!

3. IggiMom

IggiMom Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Haha--I have an egg sniffing dog! I could rent him out I guess if anyone needs him.

I can open up the incubator, and he will indicate the 'bad' egg right away!

I am hoping for large amounts of money here. Think of the eggs you will lose if one explodes. [​IMG]

So the cost of renting the dog will pay for itself many times over.

Catherine

PS--My dog really does do that, but I hope everyone understands I was kidding about renting him out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: