Eggs were lost in mail for 6 days!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandelaykay, Aug 3, 2011.

1. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    This is my first hatch with shipped eggs. They were shipped priority and I have no idea what happened but it took them 6 days to get here!!! Ridiculous!! Lord knows what they have been through... Do you guys think that I should even bother at this point????

2. yellowrose

yellowrose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    Maquoketa, IA area
    What would it hurt to incubate them for a few days and see if any develop. At this point you have nothing to loose and maybe something to gain. Let us know in a few days!

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    In this heat, set them immediately. Do not start turning for 24 hours after you set them so they can settle. With the temps so high recently, eggs have been known to start developing in transit. One BYC'r had a duck hatch days after getting her eggs after a brooded eggs got mixed into her fresh hatching eggs she bought.

You can candle the eggs at 4-6 days after you set them and see if any veining is showing, these would be the eggs you keep incubating.

This eggs is around 6 days incubation (peafowl egg)
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your eggs.

Shellie

4. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Great Advice!! Thanks guys!! I love this site!!!!!

5. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I had 2 doz eggs in the mail for 6 days and when I got them there was $3 postage due. There were shook up so bad and 8 arrived totally cracked. It was a mess, and none hatched. Makes me sick to think how much money I wasted on those eggs all over $3. [​IMG]

6. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    Start the hatch. You've got nothing to lose. I'm sorry that they were lost in transit. It must be very disappointing-- to say nothing of going to the mailbox every day and finding them still missing in action. The good news is that they did show up and were intact.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Now it would be interesting if someone can incubate the eggs in the package until three days prior to hatching! Not sure if it would work all the way thru incubation period.

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I received 24 silkie eggs that had been sent to the wrong address and then I was able to have them forwarded to me. They were set on 7/25 and as of last night, I have 3 viable growing embryos which is 3 more than I expected. I will not ever order eggs in the mail again! It was terribly disappointing and expensive. Just set the eggs and candle in about 5-7 days, but I would candle them before setting to toss blood rings, etc.

9. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow that is really sad! I sure think you should try the ones that survived. I just got my first mailed eggs 5 days ago (20 silkies). None were broken and all have candled with veins but one! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  10. chickensassy

chickensassy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    Texas
    omigosh!!!! i hope that does not happen to me!!!!!! c'mon eggs get to mommy safely!!! so sorry and wish you the best with yer eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by