Eggs with blood in them

adorable

Songster
12 Years
Aug 7, 2007
near ottawa ontario
It seems with just the white eggs ,there is blood inside of them. There was one egg that it really gross me out. THe blood that was in that was way to much. It was a size of a dime in it. I have no rooster and i collect eggs every 3 hours.Other eggs there is like 3 blood dots in them. I dont use them at all....Is there any way of stopping this from happening?

How high are your laying boxes that is probably the cause if they're 1 -2 feet off the ground you should be good. Maybe 3 but just to be safe i put mine 2 ft. off the ground.

Blood spots and meat spots have nothing to do with whether there is a rooster in the flock or not. The reason you rarely see them in store bought eggs is that store bought eggs are candled before packaging. Those showing blood or meat spots are seperated and sold for use in other products where it doesn't matter; i.e., dog food, etc.
Here's a link that may help you track down the cause of the blood spots and things you can do that may help:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/28/blood-spots

Back
Top Bottom