Eggs with cracks??

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
What does everyone do if they have eggs with small cracks in them when going into the incubator? Do you patch them up with parafin wax,nail polish,etc.? I have a few hairline cracks in some eggs that i really was wishing to put in the incu. There not leaking anything, i barely noticed the cracks untill i candled them prior to putting them in. Thank you for your time

Unless they are some super rare breed of hatching eggs you need to hatch, I always toss cracked ones. I never set them because they are so much more likely to rot and stink and bust than to hatch.

If you feel you have to set them, Elmer's Glue or wax them. Keep a really close eye on them! A cracked egg will ooze and ruin your other eggs much sooner and without as much warning as a good egg.

I decided to set an egg that had tiny cracks in it like you described. You can see where the cracks were in this picture. I think the hen had kicked all the shavings out of the box, and when the egg came out, it hit the hard floor.

I watched it carefully, and it developed and hatched perfectly normally.

I don't think it hurts to set it, and just watch it to make sure it doesn't start weeping or rotting.

Back
Top Bottom