Eggs with little color

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WhiteLeghorn2, Aug 26, 2013.

1. WhiteLeghorn2

WhiteLeghorn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Hi, one of our 26 week old hens has been laying for 3 weeks now, but I've noticed that when I scramble her eggs to eat, they aren't as yellow as those white store bought eggs. Is there a reason for that? She gets a high quality layer pellet as food and has all of the proper equipment. Thanks!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Most "backyard" flocks get some (or a lot) of greens and other kitchen scraps in addition to commercial feed, as well as extra nutrition from foraging for seeds, grasses, other plant material and lots of bugs in their yards.

During late summer and winter months, less of these extras are naturally available, so the yolks don't stay that bright orange color. If a small flock is kept only in a coop and run, without the ability to forage for insects and other goodies, and is only fed .... Some brands of commercial feed, the yolks won't be as colorful.

Many commercial egg farms add marigold blossoms into the feed to add color.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Supplement her with some greens. I grow Swiss chard basically year round and feed the girls.

4. WhiteLeghorn2

WhiteLeghorn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    @gryeyes
    Yes, she does stay in a coop with run, but we take her our into the yard for about an hour a few times a week and she eats tons of grass. :) We also give her tablescraps like cucumbers, apples, and other veggies. She also gets a small amount of mealworms every-so often. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by