Eggs with no egg whites inside?

JukeboxJenny

Chirping
Jun 6, 2020
Woodlake, CA
I have an Easter Egger that often lays eggs that have THICK (almost solid) yolks and little to no whites in them. When you pick them up they are light and feel one sided. The insides don’t move. Lol!

Should I be worried??

How old is the bird? do you measure what the weight is, usually setting your kitchen scale to g is how most people do it.

A little edit, so far it doesn't sound strange to me yolks in farm fresh eggs are often thicker than your usual store bought watery yolks. Also could the eggs have gotten very cold before you cook them? Very cold temps will also coagulate egg yolks.

Last edited:
How old is the bird? do you measure what the weight is, usually setting your kitchen scale to g is how most people do it.

A little edit, so far it doesn't sound strange to me yolks in farm fresh eggs are often thicker than your usual store bought watery yolks. Also could the eggs have gotten very cold before you cook them? Very cold temps will also coagulate egg yolks.
She is under a year a half old.

Her typical eggs are about 50g and these are 10g. And literaly they’ll almost stand up on end because the yolk is almost solid on one end and there’s nothing in the other.

It’s currently 113° right now I don’t think it’s cold. Haha!
The 1st is one I’ve had on my counter for a couple months. It’s legit solid. Others are still “liquid” but it’s gooey and dark like 2nd. Maybe somehow air is getting into the shell and drying them out?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 16
So I have found that no matter the size my eggs are, the yolk will always be the size it is suppose to be. This is great when you have pullets laying "fart eggs", because I love yolks but whites not so much. However, these eggs do run a higher risk of bacteria entering into the egg and the yolk, as the yolk is for sure touching the shell which can increase your risk of bacteria infecting your eggs. This is why many people store their eggs smaller side down, so the yolk floats up to the large end where it won't touch the shell.

Am I reading this right that the egg was on the counter for months? I wouldn't leave an egg on the counter, even with an intact bloom for longer than 2 weeks. Especially not one where the yolk is very obviously touching the shell.

If you are worried about your chickens health it doesn't sound like something as serious as a lash egg. As long as this is just something she does occasionally, these odd things do happen.

So I have found that no matter the size my eggs are, the yolk will always be the size it is suppose to be. This is great when you have pullets laying "fart eggs", because I love yolks but whites not so much. However, these eggs do run a higher risk of bacteria entering into the egg and the yolk, as the yolk is for sure touching the shell which can increase your risk of bacteria infecting your eggs. This is why many people store their eggs smaller side down, so the yolk floats up to the large end where it won't touch the shell.

Am I reading this right that the egg was on the counter for months? I wouldn't leave an egg on the counter, even with an intact bloom for longer than 2 weeks. Especially not one where the yolk is very obviously touching the shell.

If you are worried about your chickens health it doesn't sound like something as serious as a lash egg. As long as this is just something she does occasionally, these odd things do happen.
I typically don’t leave them out that long. This one was pulled out because my kid thought it felt weird and left it in a little cup on the counter and we just never did anything with it. Ours don’t last long around here. Lol!

That’s good to know about the yolk touching the shell. And that it doesn’t seem to be something bad for my chicken.

In your house?

Well, they will dry out in time.
No, but my chickens don’t stay in my house. And many eggs are kept in a fridge that is far below the temperature on my kitchen counter.

Since most eggs are fine inside a typical home I assumed the cold question was in reference to outside where there may be differences depending on where one lives. There’s no opportunity for these eggs to get below room temperature, in fact the opposite is more likely.

The second image was an egg pulled 3 days ago so it’s unlikely its consistency is due to drying out over time. Unless there’s something different about these shells that’s allowing them to dry out?

Also, none of my other hens have ever had anything like these. They live in the same space, eat the same things and are treated all the same ways. So the chances of it being environmental seem slim. This is why my assumption is that it has something to do with the hen. But I don’t know. That’s why I came to y’all who know far more than I about chicken stuffs.

The second image was an egg pulled 3 days ago so it’s unlikely its consistency is due to drying out over time.
I'd like to see that one removed from the shell onto a plate.
Did that one weigh just 10g?
Pulled from where after 3 days??
Does your coop(I assume that's where it was laid) get to 100°+?

I'd like to see that one removed from the shell onto a plate.
Did that one weigh just 10g?
Pulled from where after 3 days??
Does your coop(I assume that's where it was laid) get to 100°+?
Sticky and gooey. Like thick jam.
It was 10g, yes.
My kids took it in from the nesting box I want to say 3 days ago but I’m relying somewhat on my kids’ memories of grabbing them so take that for what it is. Not much more though if they’re thinking of the wrong one.
And yes, on occasion. (Add: the chickens have a cool place to go when the coop itself is hot like that) But I’ll also add we had a couple of these over the “winter” where it was much cooler in there, too. It doesn’t seem to matter…?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom