Eggs with no shell

KimMMXVIII

Chirping
Mar 9, 2023
One of my girls have laid two eggs with no shell. I have sea shells but doesn't seem to help, can I give them reptile calcium? I have two different kinds.
20230427_080412.jpg

I'm not sure about that variety of calcium but some birds are prone to shell less eggs. It can also be caused by diet, what do they eat?
Right now, for maybe a month back, they've been on a pre-made from a brand called 'HobbyFirst' mix which I am just google translating for you:

Crushed Corn, Crushed Wheat, Sorghum, Crushed Barley, High Carbonated Shellfish, Corn, Soy, Wheat, Split Peas, Buckwheat, Calcium Carbonate, Rapeseed, Corn Gluten, Cane Molasses, Soybean Oil, Sunflower, Salt, MonoCalcium Phosphate

But you might be right actually, before this feed they were on this: Versele-Laga Country's Best Gra-Mix
Wheat, corn, sorghum, sorghum, peas, sunflower seeds.
So maybe just switching back will solve the issue? I don't give them store-bought veggies now either since they can eat veggies that grow in the garden (thanks spring!).

Right now, for maybe a month back, they've been on a pre-made from a brand called 'HobbyFirst' mix which I am just google translating for you:

Crushed Corn, Crushed Wheat, Sorghum, Crushed Barley, High Carbonated Shellfish, Corn, Soy, Wheat, Split Peas, Buckwheat, Calcium Carbonate, Rapeseed, Corn Gluten, Cane Molasses, Soybean Oil, Sunflower, Salt, MonoCalcium Phosphate

But you might be right actually, before this feed they were on this: Versele-Laga Country's Best Gra-Mix
Wheat, corn, sorghum, sorghum, peas, sunflower seeds.
So maybe just switching back will solve the issue? I don't give them store-bought veggies now either since they can eat veggies that grow in the garden (thanks spring!).
I think what they eat now is better than the other mix. However the problem with whole grain feeds is that the hens can pick out the ingredients they like and leave the rest, so they end up nutritionally deficient.
If it's just one hen, you can give her human calcium tablets, preferably the citrate kind. I don't know about the reptile vitamins but I don't think they hurt.

Back
Top Bottom