Eggs with no shells

CluckCluck18

Songster
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Largo, FL
Hi guys!
My 10-month old RIR, Ruby laid an egg with no shell 2 days ago. She also expelled a white tube-like structure about 3 inches long. It was soft and seemed to have egg white in it. Didn't think to save it to take a pic for the site....I was freaking out a little. She seemed a little punk, so I took her inside, gave her a good soak to clean her up and let her sleep inside. Since then she seems fine....eating, drinking, pooping..no distress. Yesterday another egg without the shell down in the run. My questions are: what the heck is the white tube thing? Will she always lay an egg without a shell? Is it OK for her to do it? We like having eggs but she's also a pet and we want to do what's right for her. Prior to this she's been laying a perfect egg everyday.......what do I do??? Thanks:(

Sounds like a glitch in her egg laying stuff. Has her diet changed maybe some oyster shell or egg shells. Have your changed her feed any? I had a few pullets who had some strange eggs before they turned a year old. And after they start to lay in the spring again.

Thanks alot for the good suggestions. I read your write-up and I'm going to try all those things you suggested. I never even thought to crush their own shells and give them back! We did have a 10-day period where they didn't have their regular feed...I use organic and can't get it where I live. And they probably did get too many treats vs feed....I still am concerned about the tube thing but she doesn't seem uncomfortable so I'll wait it out for now. Thanks again.........this site is really a Godsend!
big_smile.png

Every once in a while, my mom will find an egg without a shell. It happens so infrequently that we are unable to determine the cause, but since the all the girls seem to be acting okay around when it happens we haven't given it much thought beyond "that's weird".

idunno.gif

Our EE and Speckled Sussex hens will occasionally lay an egg without a shell or a thin-shelled egg, too. We now give crushed egg shells daily; it makes a difference!

That is exactly what it is. The tube is part of the shell from the egg.
If she seems lethargic, put on a latex glove, lube up the finger & feel around inside her for any more shell pieces & get them out. After I did that to one of mine, she was fine.
If she doesn't seem to be eating the oyster shell, mix some in directly with their feed for a few weeks. They should start to eat it again. And keep the treats to a minimum also.
I personally do not think she has a disease or illness. She is young and her body probably isn't into full-blown egg-production mode yet. I had one of mine do the exact same thing. Just make sure she gets plenty of layer ration, calcium & water. Maybe put some vitamins/electrolytes in her water for a few days too.
FYI:
Soft-shelled eggs
The first pullet egg may be soft-shelled until her system gets into its stride. If it continues, make sure that the birds are getting a balanced diet such as that provided by a commercial free-range or organic layer’s ration. Such feeds will usually contain calcium and phosphorus in the right ratio (around 3.5-4% calcium to 0.3% phosphorus). Providing a little crushed oyster-shell or calcified seaweed will ensure that any deficiency is rectified, for the birds will not take more than they require.
A shock can also make a hen lay a soft-shelled egg. My own observations are that if a flock is caught in a sudden shower of rain (for they are sometimes too dim to run for shelter), a few soft-shelled eggs are often produced the next day, but by the following day, they’re back to normal.
It is when soft-shelled eggs or misshapen ones are produced regularly that there need be a cause for concern. Veterinary advice should be sought. Conditions that adversely affect eggs include Newcastle disease (a notifiable disease to the authorities) and Infectious bronchitis, but there would be disease symptoms showing in the birds themselves if either of these was present. Hybrids are normally vaccinated against them.
Egg drop syndrome (EDS) is also a viral infection that results in a reduced number of eggs, as well as an increased number of pale-shelled eggs. Birds do recover from it but egg production may not get back to its previous level and there may still be a proportion of deformed ones produced. It can be vaccinated against.
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps020
Hope she is feeling better soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Already put the oyster shell in their feed and Ruby looks peppy today. If it changes I'll give her a " butt check". What kind of vitamins should I get? Could you use something like Polyvisol?
smile.png

Thanks Celtic Druid..........I appreciate all the extra info. I thought maybe the tube was a soft shell, but it kind of freaks you out when you first see it. This is my first flock and I've had alot of trials in less than a year...cocci and dead chick on day 1, raised 5 out of 7 roos that I couldn't keep, ripped combs, broken beaks and now when I thought I was in the clear, weirdo eggs! Hoping this is just a fluke and making these adjustments will do the trick. I love my girls and the whole project has been so great.....I guess I'm still a nervous new chicken mama. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone
I'm just wrting to say many thanks for all your suggestions and support. Ruby, my RIR has already gone back to laying a regular egg for the last 3 days now. Gave more oyster shell and cut back on treats and all is well! Hopefully it won't happen again but at least I'll know what to do. I've said it before but without this website I never would have made it. Thanks again from me and the girls at Fowl Territory.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom