Eggs with sour smell when cooked

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
I tend to use old eggs for making a type of rolls with oats, yoghurt/kefir and baking soda. I always crack these eggs separately and smell them before using them and chuck them if anything seems off. Yet when baked they can give off a sour smell, not a bad smell, just a little sour. Does this mean that they've gone bad? I don't want to waste them if I don't need to.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask. I can share a recipe if desired!

I would think the yoghuty or kefir might make it smell sour even if the eggs were perfectly fine. Have you tried making the recipe with newer eggs to see if the smell is different?

How old would these eggs be? How do you store them?

I have never encountered anything like that, so I don't have a definite answer (but I see that no-one else has an answer yet either.)

I would think the yoghuty or kefir might make it smell sour even if the eggs were perfectly fine. Have you tried making the recipe with newer eggs to see if the smell is different?

How old would these eggs be? How do you store them?

I have never encountered anything like that, so I don't have a definite answer (but I see that no-one else has an answer yet either.)
The thought has crossed me, I just can't remember them smelling like that every time. I might have to try with newer eggs, thanks! The eggs are stored in the basement where it's usually quite cool and they last for months down there. However, we get more eggs than we can eat, so sometimes I try to use the extras for something that takes a lot of eggs. The eggs seem okay other than that the yolk is runny. If the white is discoloured I usually throw it out, even if it otherwise smells ok.

The thought has crossed me, I just can't remember them smelling like that every time. I might have to try with newer eggs, thanks!
I don't know if the yoghurt or kefir is bought from a store (probably quite consistent) or if you make it yourself (so it may be a bit variable.) If the yoghurt or kefir changes a bit from one batch to another, that could explain changes in the rest of the recipe. I have sometimes had sourdough change flavor a little bit for no obvious reason. I have also had bread dough smell more sour if it rises for longer than usual, or if it rises faster than usual (which happens if the kitchen is extra-warm for some reason.)

(I'm just throwing out ideas of things that "might" affect the smell. I have no idea whether they actually are involved in this case.)

The eggs are stored in the basement where it's usually quite cool and they last for months down there. However, we get more eggs than we can eat, so sometimes I try to use the extras for something that takes a lot of eggs. The eggs seem okay other than that the yolk is runny. If the white is discoloured I usually throw it out, even if it otherwise smells ok.
That sounds fine to me :confused:

I agree, eggs can stay good for a long time when you keep them safely in a cool place.

When I have to many eggs, I beat them up individually and put them in silicon muffin tin and freeze them. Thaw them in the fridge ahead of time and they work just fine in baking or for scrambles or omlet. Extends the time you can keep them even longer. Also a nice frozen treat for the chickens on a hot day.

Place your eggs in the water. If your eggs sink to the bottom and lie flat on their sides, they are very fresh. If your eggs stand on one end at the bottom, they are a few weeks old, but still fine to eat. If your eggs float to the surface, they are no longer fresh.

I’d just give that a try instead of a sniff test.

Place your eggs in the water. If your eggs sink to the bottom and lie flat on their sides, they are very fresh. If your eggs stand on one end at the bottom, they are a few weeks old, but still fine to eat. If your eggs float to the surface, they are no longer fresh.

I’d just give that a try instead of a sniff test.
Putting eggs in water just tells how big the air cell is. The air cell does get bigger with time, so it gives a rough idea of how old the eggs are. But it tells nothing about whether bacteria have grown inside the egg to cause spoilage.

Regardless of whether the egg sinks or floats, it is a good idea to crack the egg into a bowl and sniff it, before deciding to eat it. If it smells bad, you probably do not want to eat it, no matter how "fresh" it may otherwise seem!

Back
Top Bottom