eggs with "warts" on one end

Sandrachx

Songster
13 Years
Oct 16, 2007
Chelsea, MI
i have been getting quite a few eggs with "warts" on the end of their shells. any idea what that might be caused by? age? my girls are age 3+ and i'm thinking that may be issue. inside is typical egg - egg white and yolk. just the outside with all the bumps.

It's usually excess calcium.

One of my girls isn't great at self regulating her intake of oyster shell and when offered, a day or two later, she has little rust colored bumps at the top or bottom of her eggs. If you soak them in warm water for a few minutes you can usually scrape them off with a fingernail.

I stole this from a Bing search result blurb:

Calcium deposits typically take the form of bumpiness on an egg shell, with a feel like rough sandpaper. Sometimes calcium deposits are grainy and soft, and can be scraped off with a fingernail, while other times the calcium deposits are hard. In the latter case, chipping off the extra calcium usually weakens the shell in that spot.

i have been getting quite a few eggs with "warts" on the end of their shells. any idea what that might be caused by? age? my girls are age 3+ and i'm thinking that may be issue. inside is typical egg - egg white and yolk. just the outside with all the bumps.
Post a pic?
Any change in feeds, treats, calcium supplements lately?

Post a pic?
Any change in feeds, treats, calcium supplements lately?
No change in food but much more free ranging since were home.

Attachments

• B8C3DAF4-8963-42B1-9303-9BC2110D7CC8.jpeg
    B8C3DAF4-8963-42B1-9303-9BC2110D7CC8.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 38

Back
Top Bottom